Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Unsupported Shooting >

Unsupported Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unsupported Shooting

Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

And what makes you so sure others can't Sheridan? Judging from your post," How many of you "think" you can do better than that (standing free hand) ??

Go a head and post your targets here !!!", you don't think many, if any, could. I don't think I could do much better anymore. But back 10 or so years ago my off hand groups at 100 matched and sometimes even exceeded Pete's target. And I know a LOT of guys that can do it as well.

Ron is doing quite a bit better than when he started this little journey of his. But there is certainly room for improvement. He is certainly doing well enough for hunting purposes. I'm just happy the man wants to IMPROVE his skills rather than sitting back on his laurels. Just not enough folks out there take the time to measure their skills and willing enough to improve on them.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Pete,

That's good shooting; but what makes you so sure you're the only one who can do that at 75 yards ??
You're the one who put up the challenge. I never said a thing about what others can do. I'm sure there are those that can shoot much better. Just keep in mind all I was doing was sighting in the gun. I wasn't shooting for score.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Many moons ago when I was much younger and stronger and shot 50-100 rounds a day offhand I could punch out the X ring pretty consistently at 200 yards with my M1 and at 50 ft with my Win 52. Now that I'm older, weaker and lazier my shooting has gone down hill. I know I still shoot plenty well enough to kill everything I shoot at. Besides deer and other big game critters I enjoy taking my rimfire out in the fall and popping squirrels in the noggin when they stick their heads around a tree trunk or over a branch. Its good practice and exercise. I've also been known to dispatch a couple field mice at the cabin with my grandson's Red Ryder...
Old 02-10-2017, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

We all shot better when we were younger. I'm 74 now and was 72 when I shot that target. It's hardly my best effort. It's just the only one I took a picture of. I still can't remember why I took it. I think it was to show Jon in a PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
We all shot better when we were younger. I'm 74 now and was 72 when I shot that target. It's hardly my best effort. It's just the only one I took a picture of. I still can't remember why I took it. I think it was to show Jon in a PM.
That was really good shooting Muley. I don't know what happened to you in 2 years to go from that to not shooting at all.
It must have been something pretty serious. I'll try to keep you in my prayers old boy. Maybe you can post a couple pics of some of your hefty rainbows you catch???
Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing that drastic. I just can't handle any recoil without getting an injury. Bone disease.

I was going to use a crossbow, but I can't really get into it.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Old Unfired Omega

Never did i like shooting my precious hunting rifles everyday. This led me to purchase a new (old) unfired rifle to use for practice. It came yesterday, and a scope was mounted. Today it was shot supported for several shots at 25 yard, and at 100 yard. The scope dials were turned until it seemed about right. Then five shots were made unsupported. The load was screwbolts 289g hard cast, 105g Blackhorn, black crush rib, W209 primer.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did it shoot center bull supported at that range?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Supported shooting was done further out; around 100 to 105 yard. Two shots were inside the two inch circle.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, offhand you're shooting lower than the gun is sighted in for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.