Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Unsupported Shooting >

Unsupported Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unsupported Shooting

Old 02-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
For hunting i need a carry strap. Using it as a hasty sling seems to be a better option than a loop sling. It is possible it could be made a tighter hasty sling. The rifle was sighted in from a bench in November. In January the scope was adjusted some, because the point of impact whilst shooting off hand kept being more left, and more high from center. Right now, i see no reason, no reason to move closer.

What seems to be working good right now, is the hasty sling, and the solid cheek weld, this rifle provides. Also, results seem to be better, when the trigger breaks unexpectedly. Another thing that seems to help, is copying the stance i observed, being one that puts more support on skeletal, and less on muscle.

Currently, my shooting requires a massive amount of improvement; hunting season is still a long ways off...
I don't see any reason to move closer if they are all on target like that unless you just want to. If anything I might move back ten more to make it an even 100 if I could.

If you put half a twist in the sling it helps with the hasty sling, making it wrap flat around your arm. I can't tell any difference in the way it carrys.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Different bullet

This morning a different bullet (pictured) was used in the Dream Season shown in the OP. It was 27 degrees, and zero breeze. Shot in a different spot too. The last time i shot, up where i always have, the truck turned into a toboggan when coming back down the trail; i had little desire to repeat that ride.

screwbolts, sent a bunch of these bullets quite awhile back. He say they are 289 grain water dropped, wheel weight, hard cast. He, and his family use these bullets on deer, and he say they knock the snot out of them critters. They are made to use in sabot, and i used them in the black crush ribs. Regulation require expanding bullets, so i can't hunt with them, but they sure penetrate deep, and sure blow up water jugs. The bullet was tested two summers ago, using 80 grain Blackhorn, and placing the carpet, plywood, water jugs, phone books at 25 yard. The bullet penetrate almost through the whole world, just stopping in the last pages of the last phone book. There appears to be considerable hydraulic shock that somehow happens without the bullet expanding.

Using the hasty sling, and having a good cheek weld, seems to help me shoot off hand. Standing in a way that puts weight on skeletal, instead of muscle, also seems to be good for me.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gettin better!!! I'm still betting the one away from the other 2 is your last shot! Hit the weights Ron! I aint talkin 250 on the bench. Just a couple of 5-10 pounders and do some lat flies, curls, and extensions. Don't push HARD but push yourself a bit. As your strength increases, your groups will shrink.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

How many of you "think" you can do better than that (standing free hand) ??

Go a head and post your targets here !!!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

I don't think you are going to see many.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd say that's some pretty good shooting Ron. Sure it won't win any national matches but for deer and elk it will definitely get the job done.
Just remember: feet position, less muscle tension, relax and squeeze....

You won't see many shooters on here doing much better unless they've are shooting offhand on a regular basis. Heck I know that, not here, but there are guys that couldn't do that well of a bench with their MLs.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan

Just because you can't. Don't assume others can't. I'm not one to take pictures of range sessions. I don't even remember why I did this one. It's only 75 yds, but 90 yds wouldn't look any different. The first 3 shots were sight adjustments.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

That there is something to be proud of son.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Ron, but as I said earlier. Offhand is all i've done all my life. You'll get better the longer you stick with it.

That was with a Wolf, Powerbelts and open sights. I can do better with a sidelock and a PRB. The Wolf barrel is too short to hold steady and the trigger sucks compared to a double set trigger for offhand shooting..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pete,

That's good shooting; but what makes you so sure you're the only one who can do that at 75 yards ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.