Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Modern Vs Traditional >

Modern Vs Traditional

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Modern Vs Traditional

Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

As soon as I read the post I thought, this is going to get interesting. LOL. I got a little taste of some of that cold here in Va. on Sat. our last day of deer season. Bitter cold with a little snow, which is rare during the deer season here in good 'ol Virginia! I left in the morning it was a balmy 7 degrees. We Southern boys are not used to the cold like that, but stayed out in it all day. Did not get a deer though, but thats how it goes.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Plastic underware??

I didn't go out last saturday as I was butchering my last deer of the season. (5 west of blueridge) The freezer is full an the grandkids had jerky again for Christmas! Looking forward to steaks on the grill this spring.

Thank you Doc White for making great rifles!!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Plastic Underwear?

Oops, am i incorrect about my underwear being plastic? She bought it on sale, and it is supposed to 'wick' sweat away from one's body? This new stuff seems warmer than what i wore in years past.

When i was working, i always wore cotton long handles. A problem i ran into with the cotton was if we worked hard doing bull work in sub-zero weather, and sweated, the skin on my legs would freeze, when we slowed down for the intricate fits. This frozen skin kinda was like a sun burn, and was quite uncomfortable at night. To my knowledge the plastic underwear didn't exist back then, but it sure would have made my life better if it kept my skin from freezing by 'wicking' away the sweat.

Anyway, i have always thought the new high tech underwear, was plastic, but guess i may be incorrect?

We eat all that i tag, and i too, am looking forward to cooked/cooking venison.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You aren't incorrect at all Ron. Plastics are used in most all the higher end thermals. Polypropylene to be exact. With the cost of Poly's getting lower, it's starting to be used even in the lower cost long johns although not as high of content nor quality of insulation. While wool is still probably the best as far as insulating factors, your poly cotton blends have what Ron described as "wicking" whereas wool absolutely does not.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
YWhile wool is still probably the best as far as insulating factors, your poly cotton blends have what Ron described as "wicking" whereas wool absolutely does not.
I know you'd correct me if I said something wrong, so i'll have to return the favor. Wool absolutely wicks away moisture. We'd be sweating like pigs wearing wool if it didn't.

Click on the benefits of wool.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/wool-guide/
Old 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

We'd be sweating like pigs wearing wool if it didn't.
http://www.livescience.com/32118-do-pigs-sweat.html
Pigs do have a few sweat glands, but they're not very useful for temperature adjustment. When the mercury rises on the farm, Wilber wallows in cool water or mud, which has the same evaporation effect as sweating.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...22/2223974.htm
But pigs don't like very hot climates, because they have very few functional sweat glands, and can hardly sweat at all.

Sorry could not resist.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-09-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL welcome back Pete by the way...And yes wool absorbs moisture from the body but the problem is, it doesn't pass it through. That's absorbing not wicking. Not to mention the "itch factor" of wool!!! Like you, I grew up with wool long johns, shirts, coats, pretty much everything wool. And I can honestly state, without a shadow of a doubt, I was one of the happiest people on this planet when something other than wool came out that kept me just as warm!!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

That expression might have come from another living being other the animal pig. Just a guess. (think large human)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LOL welcome back Pete by the way...And yes wool absorbs moisture from the body but the problem is, it doesn't pass it through. That's absorbing not wicking. Not to mention the "itch factor" of wool!!! Like you, I grew up with wool long johns, shirts, coats, pretty much everything wool. And I can honestly state, without a shadow of a doubt, I was one of the happiest people on this planet when something other than wool came out that kept me just as warm!!

Did you go to my link? Here's a quote from it.

"Wool wicks moisture.

Aside from blocking most external moisture, wool fibers wick perspiration away from the body. Normally, as your sweat evaporates, heat is drawn away from your skin. This effect is comforting in hot weather, but can dampen your clothing and give you chills in colder weather. Unlike cotton, which absorbs moisture and tends to remain wet, wool actually wicks perspiration and allows it to evaporate quickly, thus keeping you warmer."
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may be what that link says Pete, but my ungodly long experience with wool garments tend to disagree with that assessment. I found wool to get just as soggy as cotton on the INSIDE. I've always sweat heavily so maybe my experience isn't the norm. But I don't remember a single time pulling off DRY woolen undergarments. But I'm one of those poor saps that sweat in 30* weather when just walking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.