Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
This year's Hunt!! >

This year's Hunt!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This year's Hunt!!

Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking This year's Hunt!!

Had a good year to date. Arrowed a nice doe during bow season. She came in from my left to about 15 yds. got a good through and through and she took off. got down from the stand and found the arrow. Love them Lumennoks. the arrow was completely wet, but not with much blood. I got my stuff together and started my blood trail. No blood at the shot scene and none till I found her. I followed the route she took that I saw and found her about 25 yds from where I shot her. The ground was covered with blood, lots of blood. My back was killing me, but I got her dressed out.

Next came ML season. Opening day I was on my property and about 0730 a nice large four pt. came in on me and I watched him for a while. He was a scrub buck, but nice body. I finally made the decision to take him and shot him with my CVA Apex, with a Parker 275 gr. and 95d grs. of B209. He took about five steps and died. Sorry no photos, not much of a photo guy. If I get that monster, I promise I will.

My second buck, a large spike, was also in ML season and with same rifle. Though I was loaded up with my last reload of a 300 gr. XTP and same powder charge. this time on my same property but down by the swamp area and creek. I caught him as he had jus come from the stream and shaking himself off. I watched him come towards me and he was about to come into my scent. He stopped and started to sniff the air. I ended up taking the shot and caught him in the throat and down into his heart. He went straight down. Another nice meat dear. I have to tell you guys about the monster that came in on me just before this guy.

I heard the leaves being kicked up behind me, as usual right? I slowly went to turn and he turn tail on me and I watched the biggest deer I have seen in the woods in a long time. I could have gotten an ass shot, but that's not my style. I do have to reposition this stand by turning it around and face the opposite direction.

All in all, a good year to date. Will be going back into the woods the week of the fifth December. Hopefully I will see that monster again!!!

Oh sorry fellows I almost forgot the best part of my story!!! I nailed a nice coyote during my hunt, same property. He came in from the right and I could not get him to stop. Had to make a running shot. He weighed in at 33 lbs. Very difficult, but did it:

Last edited by rafsob; 11-27-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Way to fill a freezer!! Lots of good to eats. And a running shot on a coyote is no easy matter. Its good to get them out of the woods this time of year as when winter hits they are hard to find in the open.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good season so far!!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good hunt raf... ya put some fresh meat in the freezer and eliminated some of your competition to boot!!

BPS
Old 11-28-2016, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

About two nights after my coyote kill, I had another one come in on me but this time he knew I was there. He came in from m left at a fast run and came around my stand. I had a hell of a time trying to put a bead on him and he made it around me to safety!!!

I plan on going back to camp after the season with my caller and night vision gear and do harm to as many as possible.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the deer. Your season is going much better than mine, thats for sure. Nice to see you taking out another Yote from this beautiful State. Lord knows we have plenty of them around.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Love getting them yotes!