Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project >

CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

Old 11-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
My guess is the plug will be made like knights and made to run cleanly with one primer set up while the others are still dirty. The O rings and shim kits make all primer brands the cleanest.
That would be the simple way, but gonna try and make it clean with all primers. We have an idea, will see out it goes.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
It's the equivalent of putting a gold ring in a sows nose .
To be honest, the Acura MR is a pretty nice break open. The weak link is the breech plug. Will see how it goes.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'd give a new design a try as a volunteer. Even though IMO I see nothing wrong with the original.
If you don't think there's any issue, why mess with it to be honest. I have several guys that own these guns that agree with my theory on them right or wrong. Hopefully we find a fix for those interested.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
To be honest, the Acura MR is a pretty nice break open. The weak link is the breech plug. Will see how it goes.
Maybe you can get it ready so it can be your Colorado elk gun or your main go to gun in a break action .you think it's better than the Triumph you had up for sale?
Old 11-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Maybe you can get it ready so it can be your Colorado elk gun or your main go to gun in a break action .you think it's better than the Triumph you had up for sale?
It's not as good of quality, but I would like it better with a good breech plug. As far as Elk, I couldn't use it with magnum charges so I doubt it.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand your project??? CVA already has another plug made for the use of BH209. Why not just buy one. I did and I have yet to have any problems with ignition!

Am I missing something here?
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 AM
Banned

Yes, you are missing something but it should be pretty obvious with grouses background
Old 11-28-2016, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I don't understand your project??? CVA already has another plug made for the use of BH209. Why not just buy one. I did and I have yet to have any problems with ignition!

Am I missing something here?
The goal is to make a breech plug with better quality steel or stainless. So its not so fragile if dropped for example. The second goal is to be Bh209 compatible which is actually better for all powders. The third goal is to be able to set the head spacing on the plug instead of shims for your specific primer.

My MR is very dirty, and in testing i had delays after a lot of shots. I know its because of leakage and shims would fix it. But i dont like shims and i think Lehigh will make a much better reliable plug in the end. But it will take some time and it wont be for everyone thats for sure. If you have no problems and are happy you wont need one.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yes, you are missing something but it should be pretty obvious with grouses background
Your exactly right!! Better products at a fair price for those interested.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

head spacing on the plug instead of shims for your specific primer.
The difference though for CVA is the shims dont go in the primer pocket. They go under the firing pin bushing, between the frame and bushing. Once its done its done. This is by far one of the easiest ways to adjust headspace and maintain it.

I bet if you took 12 CVAs and looked at the firing pin bushing not very many (if any) would yield the same head space.

Now make sure they are all screwed in all the way. You may find a few that are close enough to each other.

Now screw the bushing out till it is flush with the frame. Again you will find more that are very close to each other.

IMO i would not be too concerned about achieving a .003 crush with the plug. The bushing shims work just fine for this.

What i would consider is an improved bushing. The slot is too wide and allows some primer flow into the slot when the loads are warm or the primer sees a bit too much pressure. A bushing that uses something more like a spanner wrench or spanner socket would be ideal. You would have no slot going across the firing pin hole. Just a smaller hole or notch on either side for the spanner.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-28-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.