Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trail

Old 10-25-2016, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail

Well, i wanted to drive this trail to examine some new hunting country, but it wasn't on the travel plan for trucks. One can only drive this trail with a 4 wheeler. Yes, i was plenty irritated i couldn't drive it, until i walked it. After walking it for a short way i had to quit; it was too rough, for me to walk, and i was so thankful i didn't drive it. Won't be hunting there. Was very glad i don't own a 4 wheeler that day.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it comes down to what you call BAD or rough, been off roading for a LONG time and that trail doesn't look bad to me at all LOL
but I am sure your truck is happy not having to ride on it, but an atv and a truck are two totally different animals, and can go places the other cannot and not even break a sweat at times doing so!
rocky sections are all about slow goings and momentum to walk over things/crawl over them, and knowing when you get on the throttle and OFF!

Trails/roads like that to me are good things, helps keep wild places more wild, as will deter most guys LOL
NOT bashing on you, just saying
if good roads whet every where , so would pressure! and trash and ??
Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's not a trail, it's a trial.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

hmmmm the pic doesn't show up on my computer!!
Anyway - when I was up in Newfoundland on my moose hunt 2 years ago I was amazed as to where a 4wd ATV could go. I've been babying mine all they while. Those things climbed rocks as big as the ATVs themselves and went over deep gullies, at times, on only one wheel providing the traction. Amazing vehicles.
But just so you know the outfitter stayed on the trails with them for the most part. Only going through the above places to recover a downed moose.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My old Jeep, yep any time. My truck, nope, nadda chance. My old Jeep would make that trail look like a 4 lane highway (actually the roads here n Illinois aint much better). I miss that old bugger. Around 120k of trails like that finally got the best of the beast. She gave up the ghost in 2008 (may she rest in peace in Jeep heaven)
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now I see the pic. Heck that's how all the places I take my ATV are. Most are much worse. I agree with SH54. An ATV or a Jeep CJ would have no trouble with that ROAD.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's not a trail, it's a trial.
Yes indeed Van, you get it. Here is a photo of the trail i walked today; it was lovely!

Old 10-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron now I know you're getting old! Remember that trail in a year or two so you can use your walker on it....

I'm going to have to take some of the pics of the trails I take my ATV and hike on as soon as my foot heals.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way point named trail photo kinda center right is where i took the picture of the rocky trail. It is all government land there, and the coordinates are: N44 10.587 W103 33.611. Anyone wanting to drive the trail; fly at it.

The red track to the right i hiked the other day, and the way point shows where i left the truck.

The blue track is the one that took me to the rocky trail, i will never go back. One can see how i back tracked up the trail, and went away from them rocks. The way point named truck day 2, shows where i left the truck.

The red track to the left is the trail i hiked this morning, and is the one i photographed today. It is the photo posted here previously of the lovely trail. What i did was park the truck, and walk where i could have driven, part of the way. It paid off, because i ended up seeing an elk. He can be seen standing right there on the map. Yes, i like leaving those machines behind when ever possible. Somehow, i managed to walk all those miles, up hill, down hill, around dead fall, over dead fall, and never fell down once. Without a walker?

Old 10-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well maybe not now but in a year or two! I hope you realize I'm just joshing you Ron.
I know that there will soon come a day when I may need a cane or walker for hunting rather than staying home thinking about it. I'm already thinking how to camouflage it and install a scabboard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.