Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trail

Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The coordinates of the rocky trail photo are:

N44 10.587 W103 33.611

Here is a map showing roads, and trails.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron - If I were looking on that topo for a place to hunt my first choice would be just about the half way mark from your truck day 1 and truck day 2 points are. Right at the top of that draw. Then from there move due south to that flat where two draws are fairly close together.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-26-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a doe, and two fawn that spooked when i parked there on day 2. That whole area was select cut a few years ago, and it is kinda too open for whitetail to hang out in. There was sign they are there; me i figured mostly at night. The blue track shows i did walk through there on my way back to the truck. The walk wasn't too bad, and i didn't need my walker. It seems to be a nice spot. Tomorrow i will look to the South.

Before i leave the house in the morning, i cook breakfast for wife, so i never get out there very early. Usually i am home before dusk, because, at my advanced age, i don't see well at after dark, plus she is waiting for me. She worries if i come home a little late.

My life forces me to hunt where deer are, in the middle of the day. So far, the best place for deer shown on this map, i found the first day; the red track furthest to the right. The deer were there at noon, and it seemed like a couple of does kept sneezing, and snorting because of me. A little later a small buck kept sneezing/snorting. Was able to count coup on the buck, but my tag is only good for antlerless.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's normally when you see the biggest buck - when you only have an anterless tag!
Many years ago I shot a small 6 point buck (eastern count) during PA's archery season. I still had an anterless tag so I went out the following day in the same general area. I was hunting on the ground and wouldn't you know it, a doe comes flying past me on a dead run with a dandy 8 point right on her heels. I did the "BAAAA" thing to try and stop the doe. She kept going but the buck slammed on the brakes and was literally hand shaking distance away. I said out loud "Your one lucky SOB buddy". Needless to say he forgot all about the doe and just about turned himself inside out trying to get out of there, throwing leaves and dirt on me in the process.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

Thats to rough to walk!

i drive my jeep and the truck on worse than that.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Piece of cake for both my FJ and ATV!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had an International Scout in the early 70s. My neighbor had a jeep. He also owned some property that a powerline ran through and it had a steep incline. He had to take a run and then struggled to climb to the top, I just dropped my Scout in low range and first gear and went right up without having to race the engine. Those old scouts could climb and travel some real rough terrain. It also had a heater that could drive you out of the thing.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I drove a Scout for a while with a Nissan inline 6 diesel. Even the floods of 93 couldn't stop it.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Banned

one thing i dislike about my 73 cj5 is the first gear ratio, just not enough low end grunt to purr along slowly on really rough trails. I'd do a 5 speed conversion to fix that, but the price just doesnt add up! Had a 92 isuzu rodeo, now that thing was amazing in 4 low.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first vehicle i drove off road was a 1952 Ford Sedan. Then there was a 1949 Chev 2wd truck with a 4 speed. The 4 speed was cool, the truck had no traction, but it did have the 7 window cab. The 1954 Buick had a 3 speed manual, and it went fast. This is the only car i ever rode airborne, the day we ran down a coyote, and the gunner killed it with his shotgun shooting out the passenger window. We clocked antelope running out on the prairie, with that old Buick. Antelope can run 60 to 65 mile per hour. Don't tell me they can't, because i know. The first 4wd was a 1968 GMC purchased new for $4700.

The 1979 F250 is the one i would take on the trail shown in the OP. It has ARB lockers front and rear. It is prepped for a winch front, and rear. The 4 speed with granny gear, coupled with a two speed transfer case provides an unbelievable crawl speed. It carried an over cab camper, and pulled a boat too. What a wonderful truck that one is.

Set up so well, it makes for a careless driver, and one day i drove it into a frozen swamp, but it wasn't frozen. The rear mounted winch saved me that morning. Then later that day i drove it onto a trail covered by a sheet of ice from a spring. The front of the truck slid slowly into a tree, and i couldn't figure out how to get away without damaging the truck. Then it dawned on me with the lockers, i maybe could use one chain on the other front tire, and slowly move away. Wow it worked perfectly, just one tire chain. After being stuck twice, i had a little day light left, and proceeded. Then i cut a fresh elk track; left the truck following the elk, and found him bedded. Taking him up to the truck the next morning on a pack frame, all alone 4 trips, was a hard thing for me to do.

Twice i chained up all four of the '79, to get closer to dead elk. One elk, we packed out on pack frames, maybe 2 mile, the other i drove close, and using the truck, drug it to a tree. Then after tying a snatch block in the tree as high as i could reach from the top of the cab, i loaded the whole elk with the winch mounted in the rear. When i got a new truck, i couldn't bring myself to trade the old '79 in, so we gave it to our son.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 10-29-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.