Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anatomy of a hunt

Old 10-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great hunt! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The downhill with the sled wasn't all that easy i imagine. Them elk have busted a lot of sleds is my guess.

By teeth i presume you mean the tusks? The animal looks like the teeth may have a little color, and aren't hollow. Can you take a picture?

It is possible you may have ruined them boys for life. They may have developed a need to move to Montana, where one can purchase a tag every year, for just a few dollar. Imagine they will talk about this hunt, for quite some time.

The teeth were the bottom 2 teeth that had to be turned in at the check station . I had cut them out and put them in my pocket .
The top 2 ivories I was going to keep as a souvenir but I didn't cut them out at the time .I figured would do it when I dropped the head off at the collection site as we had to turn it in for CWD test but when I dropped the head off I forgot to take them .
Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very enjoyable story my friend. I too understand the aches and pain of trying to hunt these days. Will be 70 i a couple of months and I have problems getting out of my recliner to do a potty run. Always wanted to do an elk hunt, but that ain't happening anytime soon with all my aches and pain!!!

Thanks for the great read!!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default mind says go go go but body says no no no.

The company newsletter wrote the same thing about our son, that Chet wrote about himself. Matt was hunting South of Great Falls, in the Little Belts. Seemed appropriate to share this......

Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The company newsletter wrote the same thing about our son, that Chet wrote about himself. Matt was hunting South of Great Falls, in the Little Belts. Seemed appropriate to share this......

Cow elk was bad enough , I couldn't imagine a Bull Moose
Nice looking harvest .
Old 10-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Packing out a bull moose? I couldn't even pack out the head. I'd have to set up camp and eat the sucker until it was gone.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Packing out a bull moose? I couldn't even pack out the head. I'd have to set up camp and eat the sucker until it was gone.
LMAO!!!!! That's what I told my old man with the very first Moose I shot back MANY MANY years ago and I was a young strong bull back then. But several trips back and forth from camp to kill I dun it. And boy was I a SORE puppy after. I find myself nowadays making camp MUCH closer to where I think the Moose are. Now if only they would cooperate and run to camp then keel over!
Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

SHOT PLACEMENT ON MOOSE

Q: Where's the best place to shoot a moose.

A: Within 100 yards of a road.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like I get to try this again only this time it will be harder I think . Since I didn't get any younger in the past year I figured I would use my preference points for a cow elk tag for archery while I can . Long story short I drew a archery elk cow tag ...yay

season is sept 1-30 so it's time to increase my range a little I think .

I am pretty excited at the idea of tromping the black hills again in search of a cow.

My plan will be very similar to my plan when I used my muzzleloader last year , except I got to get lots closer of course
Spot and stalk mornings and try to locate water for evenings .

I sure am happy though . Hunting season will be here in no time and I can hardly wait .
Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

great story congrats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.