Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cause of accuracy issue at 100yd >

Cause of accuracy issue at 100yd

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cause of accuracy issue at 100yd

Old 10-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cause of accuracy issue at 100yd

Went to range the other day to make sure everything is still on. Mainly wanted to sight in my black powder pistol but took the encore to confirm nothing changed from last season. Of course I forgot my new pack of bullets so only had 3 shots. Figured it was enough. Shooting Barnes 285gr behind 100gr blackhorn 209. This year I wanted to try Crush Sabots as loading the Barnes was very hard. First shot at 50yd, dead center bull. Move to 100. First shot not on paper, hole was about 12" high and 18" to right. Take a 3rd shot and holes almost touching. Out of ammo. Now I have to stress until I can get back out there. Last season I was dead on at 50 as well and maybe an inch or two off at 100.
With that said, last season I tried the new sabots as well at range. I laser sighted barrel before hand. 1st shot with crush, missed paper at 50. Made no scope adjustments, next shot i took I used Barnes sabot that came with bullet and was right in bull so i sighted in with those and was happy. Once I knew I was locked in, I took another shot at 50 with the crush and it was dead on and touching holes made with Barnes sabot? That's why I tried again this year. They just load so darn easy!

My question is, do you think the sabot is the cause this year? I was dead on last year with Barnes, 1st shot this year with crush was dead on at 50 and then not even close at 100. If they were flyers, what are the odds the holes would be touching at 100, wouldn't it be random? Hate not knowing.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably but you know you'll have to go back to the Barnes to make sure !
Old 10-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You would be much better off ditching the boattail bullets and use the flat base bullets. They have way more sabot choices and with a 100gr load the slight increase in BC wont mean squat.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Try your regular sabots and see what happens. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

What muzzleloader pistol do you have? I recently purchased a CVA Optima V2 pistol.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO stick to one bullet from a clean bore and fire 5 rounds minimum. Set that target off to the side and post a new target.
Then repeat with the other bullet.

If the Barnes are loading too hard, try the T-EZ bullets, which should load much easier.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, this thread didn't refresh on my phone, just checked, sorry for no replies. Well I went back to the range and went right to the Barnes sabot, dead on at 50 and 100. Switched to the crush, dead on at 50, off by 18"+ at 100. I'm very surprised.

I too have the accura V2 pistol. I shoot 80gr blackhorn with a hornady 240gr bullet. The thing hits quarters at 25yd but my accuracy way off at 50. Again I'm using Crush sabots. I never thought it'd make that much difference what sabot I use but now I know. I'll switch for pistol and see results. Until then, it'll be a pistol it use in my bow stands for a 25 and under shot
Old 10-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried the crush rib in my encore Endeavor, they load so nice and easy and a few shot right on the rest shot all over the target. I would try the sabot that worked well before.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GPMD
Switched to the crush, dead on at 50, off by 18"+ at 100. I'm very surprised.
That is a huge variance over 50yds and what is more puzzling, it sounds like its repeatable. I agree, surprising. Obviously that bullet and the CR are doing some funky stuff in that barrel. LOL

Glad you got it figured out, that's half the fun/challenge with ML'ers - just not when its close to season Good luck