Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shot Big Sow With A .54 Round Ball >

Shot Big Sow With A .54 Round Ball

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot Big Sow With A .54 Round Ball

Old 09-17-2016, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shot Big Sow With A .54 Round Ball

Yesterday a friend said he needed a nice sow for the freezer so i went after a hog. At about the last legal shooting moment a big sow came in out with a smaller hog that weighed about 70 pounds. The sow showed up good in the scope.

Attitude: Quartering to
Distance: About 50 yards.
Gun: TC .54 FireHawk
Bullet: Patched round ball

i don't like shots like this. However, if they are done right the heart is destroyed. Aimed at the front junction of the white band and fired. Sow went down right there.

The heart was pulverized.

i hate messing with hogs at night.

Last edited by falcon; 09-17-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

He asked the sow, "how was your evening?". And the hog replied, "I had a ball."

It's great when they drop on the spot. Good shooting Falcon.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Are hogs considered a regulated game animal where you live. I would think they would allow spotlighting to get rid of hogs as fast as you can. Great shot tho. I guess i watch those videos of hogs being shot at night in Texas and was thinking most states would allow it.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are hogs considered a regulated game animal where you live.

No. they are considered an invasive species.

I would think they would allow spotlighting to get rid of hogs as fast as you can.

In Texas night hunting with a light is legal. Not so in Oklahoma. In OK farmers/ranchers can get a permit to shoot hogs at night if they are causing crop damage.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats nice shooting.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

never under estimate the power of the round ball. From looking at that hog, she has a lot of Hampshire Pig blood in her. They make nice eating. That should be a good hog. My favorite is the Duroc breed though. We used to call them "the bacon breed."

Nice shooting on that hog. When they drop like that you definitely hit a sweet spot.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting Falcon. I'm going on a hog/deer hunt next month. I've been looking at images on shot placement for hogs. I plan on using my CVA Accura V2 with Barnes MZs and my T/C Renegade .58 with PRB. We're allowed any combination of 3 animals. So for me 50 yards and in the .58 gets the call. Any further I'll use the CVA.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Good shooting Falcon. I'm going on a hog/deer hunt next month. I've been looking at images on shot placement for hogs. I plan on using my CVA Accura V2 with Barnes MZs and my T/C Renegade .58 with PRB. We're allowed any combination of 3 animals. So for me 50 yards and in the .58 gets the call. Any further I'll use the CVA.
You just have to remember a hogs anatomy is a bit different than a deer Clem. The lungs are a bit smaller and they are angled more upwards and also a bit further forward. The heart also sits a bit lower in the body than that of a deer. Also, if a frontal head shot is presented, and that is the only shot, aim about 3 inches back from the nose. While a hogs scull is not armor plated, it is fairly tough with fairly thick and tough hide and severely angled. Most believe that they have very hard and thick sculls but in truth, they are fairly thin. It's the angle of the bone structure that defeats some shots. Hit them at "the bridge of the nose" ,for lack of a better term, and 90% of the time it will drop them right there on a frontal shot. If quartering to, go for about an inch under the shoulder point for a heart shot like falcon was presented and executed perfectly. This right here is a good example of good kill points for broadside:

And this is a fairly accurate anatomical drawing for heart and lungs:
Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been looking at images on shot placement for hogs.

Good.

This is a good article on shot placement. It explains why many hogs are gut shot:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html