Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
260g PT Gold -- 50g Blackhorn >

260g PT Gold -- 50g Blackhorn

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

260g PT Gold -- 50g Blackhorn

Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 260g PT Gold -- 50g Blackhorn

Reading the escapade of oldsharpshooter, and family, prompted me to look at the 260 PT Gold again.

The bullet penetrated every jug, and was captured by the last (sixth) jug. All jugs displayed little damage.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Doesnt look good at all . But the result on deer appeared to be different . Exit appeared to show evidence of expansion , no bullet was found as it was a pass through . Deer only went 30 yards into thick weeds . Big questions are :
Does 60 gr 777 give better expansion than 50 gr black horn?
I wouldnt think so
Would 87 yard impact give more expansion than 25 ? . I definitely wouldnt think so
Would lungs and liver cause better expansion than water jugs ?
I dont know.
What i do know is the deer didnt go far , lungs were destroyed and liver had quite a bit if damage so i wouldnt be afraid to let her shoot the same load again , at least til it proves to be as ineffective on a deer as it is on water jugs .
Old 09-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

One other question . Doesn't appear to be plywood and carpet in front of the jugs like most of your tests .? Didnt that represent the hide ? What difference would that make??
Old 09-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
One other question . Doesn't appear to be plywood and carpet in front of the jugs like most of your tests .? Didnt that represent the hide ? What difference would that make??

Chet - I believe this is one of the first tests when he was only using 50 grains of BH - at some point he switched testing adding the carpet and plywood + increasing the powder charge to 80 grains.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've personally never had a deer or an Elk or hog go more than 50 yards with a PT Gold hitting it. Never recovered a PT either. Most were doing the dirty nose shuffle immediately because of my choice of target. High shoulder. But a few I took regular boiler room shoulder shots and the results were busted shoulders and decimated heart and lungs. I did recover a small, maybe 1 grain weight, piece of jacket from the off side shoulder bone once. Don't imagine that counts as bullet recovery though But I always saw the results of fairly good expansion. Nothing fantastically huge or anything but good signs of both temporary and permanent would channels.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Yes, there is carpet/plywood in front of the jugs. It is discussed in the video. All the tests are done the same, with the exception of charge weight. All charge weights are either 50g BH, or 80g BH.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Chet - I believe this is one of the first tests when he was only using 50 grains of BH - at some point he switched testing adding the carpet and plywood + increasing the powder charge to 80 grains.
This test was done this morning. It is true i mostly test using 80g of Blackhorn. However there have been several tests done using only 50g Blackhorn.

Most bullets tested, fail to expand when the load is 50g Blackhorn, is why the charge is mostly 80 grain.

Bullets that fail to expand when the load is 50 grain Blackhorn include the Deep Curl bullets, with the exception of the 250g. The TEZ bullets fail when the charge is 50 grain. The partition bullet fails when the load is 50 grain Blackhorn. The heavier XTP bullets all fail to work when the load is 50 grain.

Bullets that work when the load is 50g Blackhorn include Gold Dot bullets, Controlled Fracturing bullets, and the 250g Monoflex. The 350g BorLock, did expand some.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I would be interested in what happened with 60 gr 777 since thats the load used on deer . Be interesting to know if 10 gr more would make a difference
Old 09-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't you think 50g Blackhorn at 25 yard is similar to 60g 777 at 87 yard, or even faster? Anyways i have no 777. My tests can easily be duplicated by anybody, anywhere. Just get a carpet sample, and a small piece of 3/8" plywood, water jugs from the dollar store, and fly at it.

Oldsharpshooter, one thing is evident, there was no blood trail. Wow, that bush is something to behold!!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Banned

Yep another jug failure imo. The pt gold is a devastating bullet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.