Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Same Load   different gun >

Same Load different gun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Same Load different gun

Old 08-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Same Load different gun

I was going to head back out with the Super safari but at the last minute I decided to see what happened with the same load in my Knight original disc 1:20.

I have never shot lead conicals in it. It has been a great antelope gun with 260gr Dead centers and killed many a gong out to 300. It has theLehigh conversion plug ,been accurized and glass bedded. A Nikon Omega 3x9 with bdc sits atop it. I decided to try the same load and the same 125 yd zero. The only change I made was the addition of a .060 veggie wad and since its a 209, the triple 7 primers.
same 90 gr 3 f 777 and No excuse 460gr conicals.

It did take several shots to dial it in as it shot extremely low with the heavy conical and only 90 gr powder. But I was pleasantly surprised once it was on track.

here is the first 2 shots after zeroing it.

I was more than happy . I almost didn't want to take a third shot but I did. This is the 3 shot group.

Not only did it shoot good but the biggest thing that surprised me was the fact that it is the exact same load as in the White with the exception of the veggie wad and the primer.

The only problem I encountered was the primer not wanting to come out ,it could use a shim. I dry fired it once or twice each time and it shook out ok

I think I might leave it set up for this load for a while and let it hunt once or twice before I take it back to the 130gr powder and the 260 dead center
that it usually shoots
Old 08-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet!! Great shooting
Old 08-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

SShooter... I thought you had a 1/20 Mountaineer! Have you tried that load in it yet?

Also maybe put the Mountaineer stock on the O DISC - it will get you on the scope better and should be more comfortable to shoot especially at the longer ranges...
Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
SShooter... I thought you had a 1/20 Mountaineer! Have you tried that load in it yet?

Also maybe put the Mountaineer stock on the O DISC - it will get you on the scope better and should be more comfortable to shoot especially at the longer ranges...
I havent tried conicals in it, mainly 260 gr dead centers . The disc is bedded so i doubt i will switch stocks but you are right about the mountaineer stock . It has a better feel to it
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Both of the O DISC's that I had the Comb was not high enough to get on the scope well - it is was great with open sights - but drove me nutz with a scope. I ended up using a 'comb riser' - then I just got rid of the stock and put Extreme/Elite stocks on them.

If you do not find a scope let me know - I will borrow you one from here - then I'll tell Terry I sold it and be able to get another one... But I only have 3x9's
Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Both of the O DISC's that I had the Comb was not high enough to get on the scope well - it is was great with open sights - but drove me nutz with a scope. I ended up using a 'comb riser' - then I just got rid of the stock and put Extreme/Elite stocks on them.

If you do not find a scope let me know - I will borrow you one from here - then I'll tell Terry I sold it and be able to get another one... But I only have 3x9's
Thanks for the offer but i think i will rob a scope off something i hardly ever shoot and give the Mountaineer a go with big lead . I might even move up to a 500 or 520 .
I have a better stock i could put on the disc but i am just a little reluctant for the simple fact that the one on there is bedded and i hate to change it out for that reason alone , but ....i might .