Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting Ready

Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting Ready

My hunting rifle is an Omega X7 with a 1X scope mounted. Here lately i have been doing preliminary preparation for hunting season. Different bullets have seemed to shoot kinda OK, but every once in awhile there seemed to be a flier. Thinking maybe the scope mount might be loose, i checked that out, and discovered the action wobbled in the stock. The wobble didn't go away when i tightened the lug screws, so i had to disassemble the rifle. That is when i discovered the lugs were loose on the barrel. To get at the rear screws one has to remove the trigger from the rifle; this isn't particularly fun. Tightening the screws requires a tiny little torx driver, and i had to grind off part of the hex to get the driver through the lug to the screws. Think it was a T7. Instead of tightening them, i removed them one at a time, applied red loctite; then tightened them.

Knowing the rifle wouldn't be aimed properly, i went out this morning to shoot, see, and adjust. After several shots, and adjustments, the rifle seemed to be consistent, so a move to 200 yard was made. Hopefully the rifle will work good later, when it cools off, and hunting season is really near.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still like that target holder, yet haven't got around to make one myself...
Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some real fine shooting! It looks like you are ready.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wow -- 52 degrees

The loggers started cutting up top, and are using the area where i can shoot 200 yard, for their corridor. They ran a blade on the old trail, and soon there will be 18 wheelers bringing the logs down. It will be months before i will shoot 200 yards in the old spot there. Shucks.

It was 52 degrees when i arrived up there, and there was almost zero breeze. Set up for 100 yard shooting about a mile away, and shot 3 shots at the typing paper. These shots had me dial the scope down 1/2 moa, before shooting some more. Graf sent some free targets along with bullets i had purchased, so i pasted one over the first 3 shots, and took 3 more.

What with the first shot being from a cold clean barrel, the first group was about twice as big as the second.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default That First Shot

That group in the upper photo may look nice, but to me the best group is the first, which was covered up by the stick on target. This morning, i was able to peel the paper off the cardboard, and photograph the backside; shown below.

The three holes through only one paper are the first three shots from the rifle yesterday morning. The first shot from a cold squeaky clean barrel, furthest left, groups right in with the second and third shots, and that is why, to the hunter, it is the 'best' group.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I still like that target holder, yet haven't got around to make one myself...
I had one made an put it together myself. Cost me $40 in materials. I only have been to the range once due to weather/family obligations, but its a great holder.

Thanks again Ron!!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Good shooting , looks like you are ready.
I have been considering using my zombie omega for my elk hunt. I got it ready ( pretty much ) but haven't really decided . Its kind of a toss up between the 50 cal. Zombie Omega, The 451. Pedersoli Tryon Creedmore 1:20, the 45 cal. Knight Mountaineer 1:20 or the 451. White Super Safari 1:20

only took one scope adjustment and it was fairly good. its ready out to 200 if I do decide to use it.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Good shooting , looks like you are ready.
I have been considering using my zombie omega for my elk hunt. I got it ready ( pretty much ) but haven't really decided . Its kind of a toss up between the 50 cal. Zombie Omega, The 451. Pedersoli Tryon Creedmore 1:20, the 45 cal. Knight Mountaineer 1:20 or the 451. White Super Safari 1:20

only took one scope adjustment and it was fairly good. its ready out to 200 if I do decide to use it.
Creedmore. They'll see that lime green stock from a mile away!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Chet,

My recommendation is you carry the lightest rifle you can shoot straight. Also when trailing elk through timber, short rifle is better than long rifle.

Them are large critter, and they don't get smaller when taking them to the truck; dragging isn't usually a good option. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Hey Chet,

My recommendation is you carry the lightest rifle you can shoot straight. Also when trailing elk through timber, short rifle is better than long rifle.

Them are large critter, and they don't get smaller when taking them to the truck; dragging isn't usually a good option. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Good luck!
My Super safari is probably the lightest out of the ones mentioned since I sold the Ultra Light .
I can hardly drag a deer anymore so I am still thinking about my options should I actually get an elk. I guess I got til mid October to figure it out. Thanks for the offer of help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.