Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
That Buck Looks Better Than Ever >

That Buck Looks Better Than Ever

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

That Buck Looks Better Than Ever

Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default That Buck Looks Better Than Ever

The bucks have stopped hanging around together.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it's just his summer coat or not having "rut neck" fooling me but to my eye he looks a little young. If I'm seeing it right he looks to be around 3.5. I could be wrong on that but if right, and you want to see some big mature bucks on your property, I'd let that bugger walk this year and maybe next. Let him spread those genetics around. He is most definitely a fine deer with some great mass. I don't trophy hunt myself anymore, other than culling for a few properties, I could care less about a rack but I do try to manage my properties for high quality genetics and health which good racks signify. That buck sure is one that would make my trigger finger itch damn near off though!!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I'm seeing it right he looks to be around 3.5.

IMO: You are correct.

i'm not into trophy hunting either. Could hunt until i croaked and never equal any of the three bucks i killed in MD and WV in the 1960s.

There is a really big problem with the survival of nice bucks and not so nice bucks; in that part of OK in particular, and in OK, in general. They get poached before bow season opens on 1 October. The neighbor to the property where those photos were taken is a habitual poacher. The county sheriff there is not interested in enforcing OK game laws. The game wardens here are mostly hamstrung by the political hacks. Friend recently found a huge buck on his property. Its head and front feet were removed. The game warden refused to respond.

Last nice buck killed on my property where the photos were was by a female friend of mine in 2004. That buck scored 168 B and C points as a typical and 186 points as a non-typical because of the drop tines.

Every year nice bucks show up on that property. Every year they get poached before season opens. This year may be an exception because last year a neighbor tired of the poachers antics and did something that cost him dearly.

Last edited by falcon; 08-22-2016 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:28 AM
Dominant Buck

that buck has some impressive horns.

I never could see the thrill of poaching a monster buck. Or to take them in an unethical manner. How do you feel any pride in the illegal taking of a deer? Yet I have seen deer I suspected were poached, hanging on a wall with a heck of a story told on their behalf.