Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Super DISC Shoot... >

Super DISC Shoot...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Super DISC Shoot...

Old 08-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Super DISC Shoot...

Finally got some time and I chose to go to the rock pit to get some shooting in. It is really to hot but sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do + I wanted to look for another possible hunting spot in the area, since our good one is now being logged by Potlatch.

I got to the Rock Pit just in time - nobody was there - but as I was unloading and setting up another rig drove in looking for a place to shoot also. He continued on up the road to the higher pit. I chose the pit as it is almost impossible to start a fire shooting. My alternative spot at the farm is full fresh stubble - rules that one out.

Set up the portable bench and then walked 5 targets down to the wall. When I got to the wall and at the base of the pit run was a vertical stick. I placed a target hanging on the top of the stick and placed the other four on the rock wall. When I got back to the truck and the setup I looked for the target on the stick - gone! the wind must have blown it off.

Loaded up the first two and an shot them at the stick. It was probably 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter - looked through the scope and put the crosshairs right at the bottom of a knot that I could see on the stick. Shot #1 on a clean barrel was the hole in the duct tape farthest to the left. I decided to go one more on a Semi Fouled bore like I normally shoot and it clipped the stick on to the right of the first shot... I adjusted the scope 3 clicks right and decided to go after the 4 birds on the wall.

It is a little bit early but this is the rifle I plan to use during a regular rifle Whitetail season so I wanted to check Point of Impact. and make sure it was ready to go. I plan to do the same thing again during the first week of October just before the season starts.

It was just fun to get out and run a few down range...

Here are some pictures of the mornings events...

By the time I got done with the temp gauge on the phone was saying 81* good time to quit!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

81 degrees, that is a cold spell. I haven seen temps under 95 for weeks
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with OT. Coming back to the house after dinner with the wife here in FL at 5:30 the thermometer in the Jeep at one point read 102* but went all the way down to 99* by the time we got home!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

lmao@ "all the way down to 99"!!! You would have to drug me and drag me down to Florida during the summer!!! I hate heat but can deal with it okay but heat with Florida's humidity??? Not a chance! I have never been able to figure out why old folks like to retire there. My dang electric bill has almost tripled this past 2 months with my poor AC always running!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well we are down form the Mid-90's which is still not what you guys a dealing with but 3 days next week it is suppose to be in the mid-80's - which will be much better...
Old 08-20-2016, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

No shoot'n here all summer, with temps in the 90's that seems like its lasted forever. 11 miles from Lake Huron, 90 miles from Lake Michigan and a mile from an 8,850 acre lake. The humidity has been tearing things up. Biting flies will carry you away. We've had 4.91" of rain since the snow left. But, its nice to wake up every day and your name isn't in the obits. Next week it appears to be cooling down some, a better time to head to the range. With bug spray of course.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

this summer has been brutal for me. We seldom have temperatures every day in the 80's and 90's but this summer has been extremely hot. At least we get rain or the forest would have dried up.

It is always nice to get out and shoot. But I hate hot weather.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't like it hot either. But the wife does. And its always a good thing to appease the wife right before hunting season starts.