Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Brother in law shot the Hawken today! >

Brother in law shot the Hawken today!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Brother in law shot the Hawken today!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Banned

Default Brother in law shot the Hawken today!

He did PERFECT! ZERO issues with him giving me a hard time, the rifle loaded and shot beautifully, light recoil and most importantly, he had zero issues with the sights. This SOB on his last shot actually got into the kneeling position, split the 3" bulls eye in half with the front sight and nailed the bulls eye directly 12 o clock! OFF HIS KNEE! He couldn't believe how accurate the rifle was for an old design and open sights.

I brought 10 charges out and we only used half of them because he got bored and wanted to sight his Strikerfire in. That rifle too is ready to go!

Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal - 160gr Thor Control Fracture Ballistic Tip, 90gr Pyrodex RS
Traditions Strikerfire .50cal - 250gr Thor Ballistic Tip, 100gr Blackhorn209

Hes completely happy!

Next time out, we're trying to try some Jim Shockeys Gold super sticks in the Strikerfire and see how she does. It really likes a fouled bore, but it takes 5 or 6 shots with BH209 to get a nice layer that does well. We'll see. Hes set on using the Hawken for sure since it was so easy.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this year I will start with the CVA Apex during the first week and then switch over to my Great Plains FL. Have not taken the GBR into the woods during hunting season. Should be fun. But I can see that a wall mount will walk out and my FL doesn't shoot!!! Ouch!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I would recommend safety glasses.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Banned

normally with the sidelock, yes, but this rifle has a super deep hammer cup which really keeps the debris out of your face. Every shot you have to pick the cap out of the cup. Plus you have to practice like you shoot in the field, with no glasses.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try the yellow lens glasses. They are great for hunting too especially on overcast days. Everything is so crisp and clear.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by toytruck
I would recommend safety glasses.
First thing i noticed too.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

WAGH! Aint no mountainnee man never wore glasses while hunting or shooting. You guys gotta get out and live the rough life.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess we just all prefer to promote safe shooting practices MD. "Cap blow" isn't the only bad thing that can happen with sidelocks as I am sure you well know. I've seen guys loose an eye from hammer spurs blown off from extreme blow back and other such rare but yet still occurring instances. Safety glasses would have saved them more than likely. You wouldn't see me get anywhere near a flint lock without my amber wrap around shot gun glasses. Many many moons of experience have taught me that pretty much anything can happen when it comes to firearms and the best way is always the safest way.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Banned

A flinter I 100% agree with. Plenty of hot sparks and flash, especially with the wind in your face. But during hunting season, nuh uh! No time for that stuff in a real hunting situation.

Plus shooting glasses screw up my vision for some reason.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may have superior vision (better than 20/20) which I used to have back in my younger days. Safety glasses always messed with my vision as well. At least the "el cheapos" did. I got with my eye doc and he set me up with some ambers that were fantastic and didn't mess with any part of my vision. He told me the curvature of the glasses in those cheap ones were what affected my vision. Those with superior vision can actually pick up on the focal change while those with average vision just don't pick up on it. I can use the cheapos nowadays without much difference because my old eyes just aint what they used to be. Go to your eye doc MD and have a chat with him about good clear shooting glasses that won't cause any change in your focus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.