Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best black powder gun to start with >

Best black powder gun to start with

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best black powder gun to start with

Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Spike

Default Best black powder gun to start with

I have hunted many years with rifle and archery. I am interested in black powder and know very little about it. What is a good rifle to start with?
Are there different restrictions for type of rifle and cartrige or projectile?

Also California requires lead free projectiles. What is available?

Thanks in advance

Duanne
Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Since the requirement of lead free is on you, I would suggest a rifle that can shoot brass or copper bullets well. That to me mean a Knight. 50 caliber I would recommend in case you wanted to jump the border and hunt in say Colorado. I believe they require a 50 caliber or bigger. And a 50 caliber inline is a good rifle and caliber. Then look into Thor conicals, Barnes bullets, and the Knight Blood line bullets. They will shoot well out of a Knight, they are made of brass, and they will take down anything you might encounter.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Duanne I'm going to send you a PM
Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

First, you should check your local laws and read all regulations regarding muzzleloader hunting.

Look into a good 50 caliber inline; I highly recommend a Thompson/Center Encore or Pro Hunter. It's a pretty versatile muzzleloader. You'll have plenty of options as far as scopes vs. open sights, pellets vs. loose powder, and full bore projectiles vs. saboted projectiles. Barnes makes great lead-free bullets.

In case you're wondering about their killing power or accuracy, my sister used my dad's T/C to shoot a buck at 221 yards last season.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

TN - I'm not sure of this gentleman's budget situation and the T/C Encore is a pretty salty gun to start with. There are a few others out there that are plenty accurate and even moreso than the Encore for a lot less money. I had an Encore and traded it in.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
TN - I'm not sure of this gentleman's budget situation and the T/C Encore is a pretty salty gun to start with. There are a few others out there that are plenty accurate and even moreso than the Encore for a lot less money. I had an Encore and traded it in.
Owned many Encores and Pro Hunters and every one of them were less than MOA rifles out to 200yds. Shooting Barnes copper bullets. I've had guys shooting on my range with Encore platform rifles, that would ALL shoot MOA. With any rifle, a lot has to do with the shooter.

My suggestion to the OP.......... Don't go out and buy the first rifle someone recommends. The internet is full of experts, yet very few great shots. There are decent rifles and some not so decent rifles. There are shrink wrapped rifles and semi-custom builder, and true custom rifles. All will get "most" hunters what they want. Take your time on your decision. If one rifle costs more than another, but you like it, save a little longer. This sport can be addictive and expensive. You'll serve yourself better if you read and research more. Spend time looking over and even handling different rifles. As far as many of the writers go, they're writers, not shooters. Most are full of hot air....

Dad (R.I.P.) always said: "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

Asking is a start, but ask a lot.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

Shoot, if its California, a rubber band gun and a rock might be all that's allowed.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

TC. Prohunter or Endeavor also the Triumph.
Knight had a high quality rifle for a long time but problems have been showing up.
the top of the line CVA with Bergara barrels are suppose to be good.
For bullets there is the Thor for a full bore bullet and the Barnes is quite good but the best are the Lehigh I have take quite a few deer and some Feral pigs with them and they do a really impressive job.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Owned many Encores and Pro Hunters and every one of them were less than MOA rifles out to 200yds. Shooting Barnes copper bullets. I've had guys shooting on my range with Encore platform rifles, that would ALL shoot MOA. With any rifle, a lot has to do with the shooter.

My suggestion to the OP.......... Don't go out and buy the first rifle someone recommends. The internet is full of experts, yet very few great shots. There are decent rifles and some not so decent rifles. There are shrink wrapped rifles and semi-custom builder, and true custom rifles. All will get "most" hunters what they want. Take your time on your decision. If one rifle costs more than another, but you like it, save a little longer. This sport can be addictive and expensive. You'll serve yourself better if you read and research more. Spend time looking over and even handling different rifles. As far as many of the writers go, they're writers, not shooters. Most are full of hot air....

Dad (R.I.P.) always said: "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

Asking is a start, but ask a lot.
Well said Barnes. I must have been unlucky with my Encore. Because it wouldn't shoot for nothing. I even sent it back to T/C twice. I don't know what the issue was but I despised that rifle.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've scoped and sighted in a bunch of Encores. Never saw an Encore that made consistent one inch groups at 100 yards. Consistent 2-2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards is the norm.

Encore quality control continues to stink: A gent recently brought me a new Encore and a fine Leupold scope. The barrel was very loose in the action. I told him to send the gun back to TC. The shop he bought the rifle from gave him a refund and he bought a nice Knight.

i also own an Encore. Three of the five center fire barrels I bought for that gun were trash. The hammer spring was too weak to fire center fire cartridges; but worked OK with 209 primers. The thimbles were loose from the factory. It became a decent gun after a machinist welded up and re-machined the action to fit the barrel.

At least one US company makes a living fixing Encores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.