Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209a -- w209

Old 06-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 209a -- w209

The old clock went blind; purchased a new one, and had to see how it worked. For the first shot, it was placed about 15' from the muzzle, and it read 1057 fps, so i figured it was far enough away, the sabot had already separated from the bullet. Moved the clock to 9' from the muzzle, and shot 16 shots shooting and reloading, shooting and reloading. Temperature was 50 at the start, and 54 when finished. What i wondered was if the clock would show me a difference between the Winchester W209 primer, and the Federal 209A primer. The rifle used was a Dream Season. The load was 105 grain Blackhorn. Sabot was black crush rib. Bullet was 300g XTP.

Kinda cool to have a clock with a memory, and not having to write anything down when shooting different loads.

Out of curiosity i had the machine eliminate the highest and lowest speeds of both primers, and recalculate average, and deviation.

W209......................... 209A

Avg 1925 fps.................Avg 1929 fps

SD 9.............................SD 7
Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are the 2 primers i prefer. I normally just use the Win209 but my new plug will be headspaced to be able to use Fed209As better. My DISC Original is the "loosest" of my Knights and gets no crush with a Fed209. My new plug will give me about .003 crush with the Fed and about .006 with the Win in that rifle. I will get a bit more in the 54-120.

Since the Original 45 is mostly for sabotless i think the Feds are a good idea. My bare bullets load pretty loose. I cant use the Feds now without dry firing to remove the primer which is a bit annoying.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Banned

haha that top left group looks like the shape of a turtle
Old 06-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I use the Winchester W209 unless I am shooting Blackhorn 209. Then its CCI or SST Remington primers. At least you can see the rifle shoots consistent no matter what primer is being used.