Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tape to keep moisture out? >

Tape to keep moisture out?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tape to keep moisture out?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Spike

Default Tape to keep moisture out?

I am pretty new to muzzle loading still and have a couple questions i have a Traditions Vortex NW 50 cal so it has musket caps instead of the 209 primers. The caps seems to be more sensitive to moisture so i was wonder is it ok to put electrical tape over the opening at the brake action section? What about the muzzle is it ok to put it there to keep moisture dirt etc out?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I always have a piece of tape over my muzzle and action I have shot through it many times. I hunt one of the islands here in Florida every year and learned my lesson about leaving my muzzle and action exposed in that environment the very first year. I also keep all of my components in a sealed drybox.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

the key IMO< when your going to tape things closed is DON"T take the gun in and out of big temperature swings, as condensation will build and could cause what your trying to prevent
if its COLD Out leave the gun in a as cold an area as possible to try and keep things from changing temps and possible condensation
Old 07-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by mrbb
the key IMO< when your going to tape things closed is DON"T take the gun in and out of big temperature swings, as condensation will build and could cause what your trying to prevent
if its COLD Out leave the gun in a as cold an area as possible to try and keep things from changing temps and possible condensation
Best advice ever!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see any reason to tape the action. The muzzle sure but not the action.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I don't see any reason to tape the action. The muzzle sure but not the action.
I agree no need on the action. If caught in the rain I put my hand over the action. I like/prefer a finger cot to tape over the muzzle, works the same and less chance of altering the shot, peace of mind, I guess. It works!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by toytruck
I agree no need on the action. If caught in the rain I put my hand over the action. I like/prefer a finger cot to tape over the muzzle, works the same and less chance of altering the shot, peace of mind, I guess. It works!
I used finger cots also Toy. But then I imagined the projectile flying thru the air with it on. Would that be considered "safe shooting" LOL