Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Caution, Forum Advice Leads to More Muzzleloaders >

Caution, Forum Advice Leads to More Muzzleloaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Caution, Forum Advice Leads to More Muzzleloaders

Old 06-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Caution, Forum Advice Leads to More Muzzleloaders

Earlier, when I posted about TC QLA issues with conicals, a suggestion was, "another muzzleloader is always a good idea.". As you can see I eventually adopted a few "projects" that needed some TLC. One is still a project, but wound up with two good shooters

Top: Original .50 TC Omega that seems to have QLA issue with conical bullets.

2nd. Used pawn shop Knight that I cleaned and fixed up. Has pitted barrel. Poor groups with 460 conicals. Maybe it will shout lighter sabots, but that's someone else's project. Going on Armslist.

3rd. TC Renegade that I got with the bottom Knight. Seller thought they were loaded and might not work. Renegade was loaded, but easy to clean up. Barrel looks good. It Shoots great. 4" 100 yard groups with open sights. These open sights are easier for me to see than others I've tried. It shoots .50/385 Hornady's and .45/.50/240 sabots well with no key holing at 100.

4th, bottom. This turned out to be "loaded" with 10" of gunk and a 12 gauge brush in the barrel. Took hours to get it out and cleaned up, but not corroded and barrel looks great. Seems to shoot as well as the Omega with sabots, but also shoots heavy conicals well. I've got more .504/460 Bullshops on order.

Destroyed the scope laying between 3 & 4. The range has concrete benches. Barrel with scope slipped about a 4" drop while reassembling. Even with a blanket covering it, the hard bench wrecked the scope.
Attached Thumbnails Caution, Forum Advice Leads to More Muzzleloaders-mls-1.jpg   Caution, Forum Advice Leads to More Muzzleloaders-mls-2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, they sure are addicting!! If you can find a used White muzzleloader you will never look at another T/C, my opinion.

There are a few still listed on Modern Muzzleloading...
Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I like your start in the collection. Be careful it don't over take you like some of the folks around here. You run out of gun racks and corners real fast.

If you want to shoot conicals then a White Rifle is still the best one out there, IMO.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could buy a white or you could cut off that silly QLA and crown it Not hard or expensive to do that.