Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Impact report

Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default TC Impact report

Before I begin, my scanner is on the fritz so I am not able to load up target pics. I'll load them up later when I get the scanner fixed.

So, as some of you know, Grouse sold a TC Impact to my daughter a few months back. Due to both our busy work schedules as well as this weird and nasty weather of late, we haven't had much opportunity to hit the range for some serious shooting. We had just sent a few rounds downrange to see if it fit her well. Today was kinda chilly but no rain and I said to hell with work today being as I am SUPPOSED to be retired!!!! So,,, grabbed a can of BH209, 20 240gr TC cheapshots and 20 220gr .258 lehighs and some black Harvester crushed rib sabots and went out back to my 150 yard range. To make this little rifle a bit more suitable for my gorilla arms I added a slipover limbsaver to increase length of pull. Still a bit on the short side but was still able to settle down on the scope with reasonable comfort and target acquisition. The scope he sent with that rifle was a Nikon omega 1.65-5x which is about perfect for the daughter as well as me for out to 200 yards. First discovery about this little rifle was it didn't like win 209 primers worth diddly. Went back up to the shop and grabbed some CCI 209's and wammo! After solving that issue I settled in to dialing in that scope at 90gr's BV with the cheap shots. I guess Grouse had already dialed it in (he sent it with quick release mounts) because windage was dead on and with that load I was 2" high at 50 yards. Grouping was washy with the supplied sabots with those cheap shots so I tried a 5 shot group with the CR sabots. Cleared that problem up with a bang! Clover leaf with the last two centering the leafs. Well under an inch! So dial in for 100 was next. Same load, same bullets with the CR sabots. Was still right around 3/4" high at 100. 5 shot group with around 10 minutes cooling time between shots. Dang fine group at 100 at 7/8"!!! Well being a curious minded type person, I decided to take this little rifle up a few notches in load as well as distance and put it through it's paces. After a good cleaning and drill bit to the plug, I loaded up a 220 lehigh on top of 110gr BH. Now this is a load my youngest daughter wouldn't be able to shoot as she is fairly recoil shy and 90gr is about as hard a kick as she will tolerate at the bench. Or so I thought. I discovered with that slipover LS pad on it, the recoil was pretty dang mild even with that strong of a load. May let her try it out for herself. Anyway, that load combo at 150 yards hit dead center bull!!! I was thinking it might be a little high given a 20gr lighter bullet and 20 gr heavier charge but I guess not. Lit off 4 more and pretty much just chewed out the bull. I honestly don't know if we just got lucky or if all TC Impacts perform at this level but I can honestly say this is absolutely one of the best shooting ML's I've had my hands on. It shoots just as well as my Pro Hunter .50 cal barrel. Like all TC barrels, it is on the tight side so loading can be a little bit of a chore with some bullet/sabot combos. Also, with a scope on it, the hammer is a little difficult to get to. Especially when gloved and the design of the hammer doesn't allow for a spur to be added. But UNLIKE most every TC I have ever owned, the hammer spring is relatively stout. The trigger is crisp and clean breaking. Not the best trigger I have ever felt but nowhere near as bad as I have felt on some rifles. All in all it's a hell of a little rifle for as cheap as they are. I don't have this problem but most men aren't built like a gorilla like me but if you are hunting late muzzleloader season and wearing a lot of clothing this little rifle with it's shorter LOP would be fantastic. It's also a natural fit for most women and kids.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you have, or should I say your daughter has, a heck of a good shooting rifle. And with that kind of power, a deer don't stand a chance. I too like those less magnification scopes. My favorite is a 2-7 power. Although I have some 9x scopes too.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to the 2-7's as well. Most of my hunting over the years is in wooded areas or short fields. I tend to get close to my game rather than taking extended range shots. My daughter wanted something she could stretch out to 200 yards. She hunts a spot where you would be one lucky individual to get closer than 150 yards. Her 20 gauge slugger doesn't cut the mustard.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Spike

"I honestly don't know if we just got lucky or if all TC Impacts perform at this level ......"

I sure HOPE it's not luck! UPS is bringing me one tomorrow. My first muzzleloader in over 40yrs of hunting.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know several T/C Impact shooters that are exceptionally happy with the rifle. Good job.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ezearl
"I honestly don't know if we just got lucky or if all TC Impacts perform at this level ......"

I sure HOPE it's not luck! UPS is bringing me one tomorrow. My first muzzleloader in over 40yrs of hunting.
Earl, I have seen very few bad reports on this rifle. And most of those were complaints about the "cheap feeling" stock. But really, what the hell do you expect for that price!! I certainly didn't expect the fine accuracy I got from it. I was actually preparing to get her a good used Omega. Even had Semi and a few others gearing up to search their areas for one. But Grouse got this one to do some testing with it and a few others in the lower price range inlines. In over all testing, the Impact clearly won. Judging from how this little bugger did today, I'd have to say TC hit a homer. Might just see about getting myself one and see about making a bigger stock for it. That, in my own little opinion, is the only drawback for me. At 6'5" with knuckle dragging arms the rifle is just too small for me. But I've had to deal with too short of LOP most of my adult life.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

When talking about cheap Muzzleloaders the Impact is in a class of its own. The only people buying cheap CVA'S and Knights is because there not educated and dont know any better.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

I'll put my flintlock against any impact all day long LOL!!

Pete had an impact, it had barrel slop.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I'll put my flintlock against any impact all day long LOL!!

Pete had an impact, it had barrel slop.

Any time you want to come on over bubba and bring that little ole flinter and see if she will chew the bullseye in less than a 2 inch group at 150 yards you are more than welcome. Don't know about Pete's Impact but this one is tight as a drum with no slop at all. No wiggle, no rattle, gets a fair crush on the primer. So talk is pretty cheap. Come on over and put ya money where ya mouth is. You can bring that CVA your so fond of and well take them out to 250 if you want! I'll even make it easier for ya, I'll let my oldest daughter do the shootin! Ya aint sceered of a girl are ya? You're always so up on CVA and down on TC (even though almost every design CVA uses they out right stole from TC) but you never seem to back your mouth! Contact your buddies at CVA and have them put THEIR money where their mouths are! Say $500 a shot? Closest to the bull? I'd STILL let my daughter shoot! I've seen some of your vids MD, I've seen you shoot, you are not only not in her league, you aren't even on the same planet as her bud My youngest daughter is an even better talent but she isn't familiar enough with the rifle nor does she handle recoil well. The oldest is my Amazon and can handle recoil just as well as me. Even better probably nowadays.

To put it in easy to understand terms MD, put up or shut up. Daddy don't play for free.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:22 AM
Spike

YEA! LOL

Anyways,I got the Impact. I'm impressed with the quality of it. No slop in the action at all. The stock seems of good quality. I've dealt with so called "Tupperware"stocks that come with some factory centerfire rifles. This isn't one of them. I'll probably at some point paint it though. Finish is fine. Sights are really nice but I can barely focus on them so will be putting a Leupold M8 2.5x20mm w/hvy plex on it. I removed the spacer on the buttstock . It shoulders just like I need it to. I normally have to reduce the LOP on my centerfires either by replacing the recoil pad with a butt plate or cutting the stock and reinstalling the recoil pad. The adjustable LOP on this Impact was a major reason in choosing it. Gonna be a while before I can shoot it but then as they say all good things are worth waiting for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.