Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hearing protection >

Hearing protection

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hearing protection

Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a high pitched whine/ringing 24/7 in my left ear for nearly 45 years. The right ear gets it intermittently. They already make medication for Tinnitus but it doesn't work for a lot of folks. They have treatment for the symptoms/perceptions but so far there just isn't much help for it. OT, back when I drank, I don't think I ever noticed my ringing diminish. But those days are a bit foggy if ya know what I mean. I didn't have a drinking problem. I had a stopping problem
Old 05-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm about as deaf as a door knob too but I use the ear muffs. Only problem is I can't use the for shooting a bow. They get in the way. I do have the Walker's and Woods Whisperers for that but a single aid makes it hard for me to judge direction.
Funny - first time I had the muffs on and still hunting up an abandoned strip mine road and having the volume all the way up it sounded like something was charging up behind me. When I turned it was just a couple robins flying down the road. Made the old heart skip a beat though.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I purchased a set of custom formed quality ear plugs from the audiologist to which I wear for all shooting. She filled my ear with a gel to which was sent and molded just for me. Paid 60 bucks. They are on a line to which I have looped on a ball cap. The right string I put an overhand knot so I could easily tell right from left.
Used them now for 8 years. They get dirty they are easily washed with soap and water.
Just another idea.
JW
Old 05-16-2016, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
I purchased a set of custom formed quality ear plugs from the audiologist to which I wear for all shooting. She filled my ear with a gel to which was sent and molded just for me.
JW
Life happens! I did the ear foam 'bout a month ago. Not only have I suffered hearing loss from shooting and various other loud noises, but here lately, I've suffered from numerous ear infections requiring tubes. I've had enough procedures that my right ear now has a permanent perforation in my ear drum which hinders hearing even more. Some kind of hearing protection or aids are needed and also keeps the bugs out. Har, har! Hope that didn't ruin your day.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have electronic muffs, the brand that many swat units use, Radians, and sport ear electronic gar plugs. They both work fine, until there is wind, then you get a very distracting noise from the wind bowing over the place that sound gets in. I usually got to wearing one sonic, the kind with the metal canister on the one end and deeply ribbed rubber on the end that goes into your ears. If it looks like I am going to get a shot I put the other one in. I have tinitus, my ears hiss 24/7 except when I drink whisky or a martini, then it stops for a couple of hours. Seems to me that if imbibing alcohol stops the noise, some pharmaceutical company could develop a pill that would have the same affect.
Sounds like you found the solution to life's problems. Good booze will solve many of them.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

It couldn't hurt.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Sounds like you found the solution to life's problems. Good booze will solve many of them.
Heck, good booze makes more women look better too.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Heck, good booze makes more women look better too.
Sure as heck don't help things the next morning though! Funny how a 12 pack and 1am can make a woman so purdy aint it!