Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tried The 200 Grain Shockwave Today >

Tried The 200 Grain Shockwave Today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried The 200 Grain Shockwave Today

Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Tried The 200 Grain Shockwave Today

The gun is my TC .50 caliber Black Diamond. Years ago i worked up loads for the 250 grain SST and the 200 grain Shockwave that shot into the same group at 100 yards. But i forgot the powder load used for the 200 grain Shockwave.

Today i fired a three shot group at 100 yards using the 200 grain Shockwave, the blue sabot and 100 grains of Black MZ powder. The gun loaded very hard. The group was centered about 1.5 inches to the right of three shot groups made by the 250 grain SST and the same powder load. Group measured about 2.5 inches. Not too shabby considering the 20 mph wind in my face.

A member here suggested i try the 200 grain Shockwave bullet on hogs. The gun will be cleaned and loaded for hog hunting tomorrow.

Also shot a three shot group using the 225 grain .429 Barnes XPB and 100 grains of Black MZ. The group was nice; about 2 inches. But the the group was much too high.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting the same rifle, same projectile and sabot, but using 110 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I was very pleased with the group at 80 yards. It was about two inches across. And just a hair high over the bulls eye. I would bet that round would be a good hard hitting game killer. But of course I have no field experience to say so. I will be watching for your hunting results.

Do you purchase your Black MZ on line or find it in a store. I never saw it around me. Is it like APP?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you purchase your Black MZ on line or find it in a store.
Mine came from Grafs.

Is it like APP?
Other than the smell, no. Black MZ is more powerful than the other APP powders.