Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1X Optic--Best Target >

1X Optic--Best Target

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1X Optic--Best Target

Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1X Optic--Best Target

For me it is just a blank piece of typing paper.

These past few days have seen me try different targets. Regulations dictate we must use non-magnified optic or iron sights on our rifles. A few days ago tried the one i thought seemed the best.

The big orange circle was hard for me to see in the shade in the trees. Yesterday a couple of blank paper were tried. That seemed to work OK.

This morning an 8" diameter red circle was hard to see, because the reticle nearly covers it, but the blank typing paper worked good.

To aim at the blank white paper, one uses the reticle to form 4 equal rectangle of white; then squeeze the trigger.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not surprised. The human eye/mind is quite proficient at finding the center of squares, rectangles and circles.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
The human eye/mind is quite proficient at finding the center of squares, rectangles and circles.

Guess that's why Peep sights work so well??
Old 04-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I discovered basically the same thing. Most targets I put up at long distances with a 1x scope "disappeared" on the cross hairs. So I used a huge X with duct tape on a cardboard back. Then I just made the duct tape my cross hair.

That is some good shooting there. Real good in my book.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Spike

Default 1X scope

Back in the 1960s, my dad mounted a 1X scope on his shotgun. He claimed target acquisition was quick & from the increased number of pheasants he brought home, it definitely worked for him. Unfortunately, that gun never did fit me right.
Paul