Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Old Sharps .50 caliber high wall >

Old Sharps .50 caliber high wall

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old Sharps .50 caliber high wall

Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Old Sharps .50 caliber high wall

A new gun shop recently opened near my home. Since I needed some .40 S&W FMJ ammo for practice I decided to check it out. Nice surprise, I found Federal American Eagle ammo for $15.00 a box, I bought 5 boxes. After I paid for my ammo I was browsing the guns on the wall for sale and I saw an old high wall. I ask if he would allow me to look at it. Turns out it was an original Sharps .50 caliber black powder converted to metal cartridge. It was in fantastic shape for the age of the gun and the shop owner said the inside of the barrel was in very good condition. It was on consignment for $13,000. It had a saddle ring so I assume it was a Calvary model. It also had a lever lock to keep it from opening, I had never seen that before. The shop owner said the owner would come down a bit on the price but I put it back in the rack, too salty for my wallet. It was nice to handle a gun that age that is in such good shape and can still be used. The same guy had an old Spencer cartridge lever action gun in .50 caliber for sale for $11,000, It was the one that you loaded the cartridges through the butt stock. It was nice, something I had never seen but not in the condition the Sharps is in.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aww come on Oldtimr. I bet you could have offered him $20000 for both and he would have taken it! You only live once - right?
LOL
Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, up until the time you get home with them!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard a Sharps called a high wall before. I thought that term was used to differeniate between high and low wall single shot Winchester rifles??!!!