Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh 245 Grain Controlled Fracturing Bullet >

Lehigh 245 Grain Controlled Fracturing Bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh 245 Grain Controlled Fracturing Bullet

Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lehigh 245 Grain Controlled Fracturing Bullet

Last summer this Lehigh 245g controlled fracturing bullet was tested by shooting it through carpet, plywood, and water jugs. Performance was superlative. Recently, it occurred to me, that i had no knowledge about the accuracy of this bullet. This morning there was a chance to beat an incoming storm. Temperature was 30. Wind was almost zero.

The Omega Dream Season, with a 1.5-5 scope, did the shooting. The load was 110g Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The Lehigh bullet had never before, been shot through the Dream Season. The first shot from the cold clean barrel was made using the XTP bullet, to see if the bullet would hit paper. The next three shots were made using the Lehigh bullet. These three shots measure 1 3/4" center to center. The smoke from the powder drifted left. Then the next two shots were made using the XTP bullet. The three holes made by the XTP measure 2 3/8" center to center.

Then two more shots were taken using the Lehigh bullet, from a warming barrel. The smoke from these shots drifted to the right for the one, and away for the other. The five shots measure 3 3/8" center. One vial of powder remained, and the last shot was made using the XTP bullet. Every shot went higher higher, and it seems i could have waited longer between shots; it was cold.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shoot'n.

I like your portable target stand. How long are the legs on that?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The legs are cut from a 6 foot length of tube steel. Front are cut 32" long, leaving 40" for the back. All thread are 2' long, spaced 2' apart.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The legs are cut from a 6 foot length of tube steel. Front are cut 32" long, leaving 40" for the back. All thread are 2' long, spaced 2' apart.
Thanks. Nice portable.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

very good shooting. That is a long way to throw a muzzle loader bullet. That scope you mention sounds about perfect.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

All these Win209 primer threads are getting old.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron I don't know about you but those less expensive XTPs shot good enough for me. And like Cayugad said, 200 yards is a long way to throw a ML bullet.
The Lehighs are nice but......at just 5/8" difference in group size at 200 yards that ain't enough to justify buying them.

Anyway, that is some nice shooting. I like that stand too. I have one similar made out of 2x4s and 3/8" threaded rod. But I like yours better. I've also found that those threaded rods don't stay very straight when you hit one square with a .58 caliber PRB during sighting in.

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-22-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I made my target stands out of 3/4 inch CPVC. Its very light weight, comes apart easy (Unless you glue it) and its amazing how it will stand up to wind. Just some big office clips hold the target nice and sturdy. I have three of them, and set them on the range at different ranges, when friends want to shoot. That way they have to guess distances too.

This one pictured was too close to my steel back stop and a ricochet if lead will break it. I never have actually front on shot it. But some duct tape and a stick is a quick fix. This spring I will fix the joints much better.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ron I don't know about you but those less expensive XTPs shot good enough for me. And like Cayugad said, 200 yards is a long way to throw a ML bullet.
The Lehighs are nice but......at just 5/8" difference in group size at 200 yards that ain't enough to justify buying them.

Anyway, that is some nice shooting. I like that stand too. I have one similar made out of 2x4s and 3/8" threaded rod. But I like yours better. I've also found that those threaded rods don't stay very straight when you hit one square with a .58 caliber PRB during sighting in.
I would hope that you are not just judging the value of a bullet by it accuracy. Terminal Performance carries a bigger value for me than just accuracy.

Also and I am not sure about other places but bullets seem to have take a leap in price lately. A month ago I bought a box of Sierra .452x300's for just over $20 today buying that same bullet the price has jumped to $31. A box of Hornady .308x150 gr. bullets is $44... Geez I am glad I am not reloading anymore!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I would hope that you are not just judging the value of a bullet by it accuracy. Terminal Performance carries a bigger value for me than just accuracy.
Absolutely. To me, that is the MOST important thing. For target shooting, sure... about any bullet is fine. The cheaper the better if you shoot a ton. But for hunting, I want the best money can buy. I know for me personally, if I have a great year I might be shooting 3-4 bullets during hunting season with a ML... typically more like 1 or 2. Certainly not cost prohibitive.

Great shooting Ron! Sub MOA grouping is impressive for sure... not only the rifle/load but the shooter as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.