Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need some of your guys opinions. >

Need some of your guys opinions.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some of your guys opinions.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default Need some of your guys opinions.

I'm looking at getting back into muzzleloading. I used to have a CVA optima years ago. I really likes it but ended up selling it to a buddy. Well I had my heart set on getting a new cva optima but my neighbor is selling a really really nice disc Knight. It uses the older disc orange plastic jackets but I contacted Knight and it can be converted over to is the new disc or just plain 209. Its in really good condition and he wants 200 for it. It also come with opens sights and a scope base on it. What you guys think?
Old 03-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

If it were me, I would go with the CVA Optima. Great, accurate muzzleloader. Changing ignition systems on older muzzleloaders, may affect accuracy. (speaking from experience). They were not designed for 209 primers. Not to say 209's will not give accuracy.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Check the price of the conversion. Then ask if you want to spend that much. Also if you're going to convert I would go with the straight primer. Might as well end the hassle of the plastic 209 holders.

That is a good rifle. Is it stainless? If not that is kind of IMO on the top end of the asking price. I had the same orange disc Knight Disc rifle. I also had it converted. It was a good shooter. But someone offered me a fair price and I sold it.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Landngroove
If it were me, I would go with the CVA Optima. Great, accurate muzzleloader. Changing ignition systems on older muzzleloaders, may affect accuracy. (speaking from experience). They were not designed for 209 primers. Not to say 209's will not give accuracy.
Interesting

I have a DISC Original converted to the Extreme style bolt and bare primer. Its a fantastic shooter and wonderfully clean to shoot also.

You see, the Original DISC was designed to use a 209 primer in a plastic carrier called a FPJ. Its sounds like you are not familiar or experienced with this system if you say they were not designed for 209 primers.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Spike

It is a 209 ignition already but uses the old disc. And the conversion kits are 100 to 130 bucks. The conversion kits are to go disc less so a bare 209 primer or to use the new disc system. The knight is stainless also.

Last edited by ranger400ex1994; 03-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

So with everything totaled you are looking at $330-$360 (Uncle Sam is never far away with his hand out) Not TOOOO awful bad a price. I personally would go with a bare primer option myself. If you wanted to go with a FPJ then I personally would opt to spend a couple hundred more and just get a brand spanking new Disc Extreme. I would also probably opt for the new (newer) .52 caliber option as well. Granted Knight holds the patent on the sabots right now and they are the only suppliers of them but that may not last much longer. I think that .52 is starting to catch on a bit well and they may start licensing options to MMP or Harvester to market them under their own branding. Could be a good option for you.

You can go here you look, under the caliber tab click onto the .52 caliber and you will see that it's only $398 http://www.knightrifles.com/product/...-muzzleloader/
Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The new bare primer bolt setup is $99 plus the cost of the internals. This conversion will be bare primer ONLY. It looks like this.

The old style used a Extreme bolt and an adapter that goes in the Extreme bolt. I think i know where to get the old style adapters with the REAL lehigh breach plugs for around $45 plus vent liners. Ventliners are $3-$5 each depending on brand.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Spike

Ya I thought 200 sounded kinda steep. I thought about offering 150 but the ower of the knight is the type of guy who would get insulated with that offer. Looks like I'll be going the optima route.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ranger--a couple of years ago I bought a stainless CVA Optima with a thumbhole stock at a pawn shop for $140, he was asking $200 to begin with I think. It was like new except for the dirty barrel. It took awhile to clean that up. It is a great rifle, simple, accurate and good looking. I don't think you will go wrong with one. It may be better to buy a new one instead of cleaning up someone else's mess. If I were going to buy a new one now I would go with the nitride treated ones. Sometimes CVA offers factory seconds at very attractive prices if a cosmetic blemish does not bother you.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a big Knight fan and currently own 2 Disc Extremes and 1 Disc Elite. All started with the yellow disc, then red full plastic jacket and just recently to bare primer (2 with original bolt and adapters & 1with new style bolt). All 3 have target triggers and they are extremly accurate. My current hunting load is 110 gr BH209, winchester regular 209 primer, Harvesters Black Crush Rib sabot and Harvester 300 gr PT gold bullet. All 3 rifles produce sub moa 3 shot 100 yd groups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.