Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c big boar lock

Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default t/c big boar lock

anybody have there locks worked on ? iv'e done all the polishing i can on my trigger group and my lock parts i haven't put a scale on it but it has got a lot better but would like to shed a couple pounds off the weight i would say it's probably about 6 lbs right now i'll put a trigger scale on it tomorrow. so can anybody recommend a good lock guy that will not make it unsafe ? or is there a aftermarket lock that would fit ? thanks !!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Should be in the traditional forum.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Should be in the traditional forum.
yep could be in a few different locations ?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
yep could be in a few different locations ?
I agree...even gunsmithing or guns or....
Old 03-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I agree...even gunsmithing or guns or....
i meant it could belong here in black powder as well. don't people with t/c big boar rifles go on this thread. isn't a t/c big boar a black powder rifle ?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well muzzlestuffer, I don't know why the replies took a left turn rather than addressing your question. But then I was one of the few who saw no need for, or value in splitting the forums. So my opinion may be prejudiced.

First off, I don't know of anyone who does that kind of work. I'm sure there are a few guys out there who do that. It may take some Googling and emails to track one down.

Second. if you feel you must replace the lock, Track of the Wolf sells L&R replacement locks for TC guns. They are not cheap though.

Third, In my opinion a 6 lb. trigger on a sidelock hunting rifle is not fatal so long as it breaks clean with no creep or crunch. It may not be ideal, but it's one of those things you can live with and learn to use effectively. You might be able to get it a bit lighter with some silicone spray lubricant on the lock internals.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-17-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i meant it could belong here in black powder as well. don't people with t/c big boar rifles go on this thread. isn't a t/c big boar a black powder rifle ?
I only added my 2 cents because maybe someone in the gunsmithing or gun forum could give you a name.
And Semi is right, L&R does make a lock for the T/C.
I recall having an issue with my one Hawken and it turned out the "arm" (for lack of a better term) on the lock that tripped the sear was contacting the bottom of the stock recess just ever so slightly. Check your stock and see if there is a slight rub mark there.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Well muzzlestuffer, I don't know why the replies took a left turn rather than addressing your question. But then I was one of the few who saw no need for, or value in splitting the forums. So my opinion may be prejudiced.

First off, I don't know of anyone who does that kind of work. I'm sure there are a few guys out there who do that. It may take some Googling and emails to track one down.

Second. if you feel you must replace the lock, Track of the Wolf sells L&R replacement locks for TC guns. They are not cheap though.

Third, In my opinion a 6 lb. trigger on a sidelock hunting rifle is not fatal so long as it breaks clean with no creep or crunch. It may not be ideal, but it's one of those things you can live with and learn to use effectively. You might be able to get it a bit lighter with some silicone spray lubricant on the lock internals.
Thanks for replying to the question of the thread. Personally I can't stand a lousy trigger.I actually got it much better after working on it than when I bought it.it's much smoother and lighter I think it's the design of the lock more than anything else ? I tool the trigger itself apart and polished all the parts that touch each other and that helped as well.I also greased all the internals.I would much rather keep the original lock than buy a replacement. Thanks for advise I'll keep you informed.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I only added my 2 cents because maybe someone in the gunsmithing or gun forum could give you a name.
And Semi is right, L&R does make a lock for the T/C.
I recall having an issue with my one Hawken and it turned out the "arm" (for lack of a better term) on the lock that tripped the sear was contacting the bottom of the stock recess just ever so slightly. Check your stock and see if there is a slight rub mark there.
thanks for the tip but i already checked that out. i was trying to avoid tampering with the sear myself that's why i only polished it i'm sure i could probably stone it down a bit but prefer not to go down that road. i'm really surprised that no one would not have had this issue and found out some info on a way to get these locks worked on. but i'll keep trying to find someone that works on them and knows what there doing. these gun's are already very accurate i wonder how much better after the locks are tuned up ? thanks !!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Different people like different solutions, I put set triggers on mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.