Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Spotting scope question >

Spotting scope question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Spotting scope question

Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

An update...........
Didn't have anything but an old camera tripod to mount that Viper to, so the decision was made to purchase something more sturdy. Well......, start looking at tripods and you'll find a zillion of them!
Took awhile to decide, but I finally decided on a SLIK tripod. I'd looked at so many and read reviews on so many, I finally narrowed it down to three. This SLIK started showing more promise.

I finally ordered this tripod:
Amazon Amazon

While I was waiting for it to show up, I just so happened to catch my first "common cold" in over 20 years. Need I mention that I had long forgotten how bad it can kick a person's ask? Especially after 20 years of not having one and knocking on my 65th year?
That said, it showed yesterday and about all I wanted to do was open the box and make sure it was actually in it. Today it seems, that the cold has started to subside. I made it!
So before this next 12 to 18" of another wet snow starts, I took it outside to check the system. I like the new way (to me anyway) that they use a shoe to tighten the scope to, then easily mount and dismount it from the tripod. It locks on solid.
I set everything up and pointed the scope down my 150yd range. The scope was set on low power and it was simple and easy to focus the target backstop. Then while looking through the scope, I cranked it up to 60x and then focused it. NOT A SINGLE BIT OF MOVEMENT as far as the image wiggling around! Solid as a rock. I had it figured that once I put my hand on that scope at 60x, it would wiggle around my sight picture, which wasn't the case.

The tripod is heavy, but I didn't purchase it for hunting, only for the range. Sooner or later I hope the range road is passable and I can really try the system.