Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tried out the Fed BOR Lock 350gr >

Tried out the Fed BOR Lock 350gr

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried out the Fed BOR Lock 350gr

Old 02-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Banned

Default Tried out the Fed BOR Lock 350gr

Not happy!

I first shot them with 80gr BH209 at 100 yards and the first clean bore shot was off badly which is not cool in my book. The next 3 shot group on a fouled bore was ok, Barely under 3" group.

I figured I'd try 100gr BH209 to make up for the bullets length and that was of no help at all. The group size almost doubled.

I don't like the way the bullets load, they just ride easily on the rifling and I feel that's the reason accuracy sucks. I had this same issue with the Harvester Sabertooth bullets and the way they ride the lands.

Other than the accuracy, it was a nice cool 40* day with sun shine. Could have been worse!

Old 02-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you think with the loose fit, perhaps a change of powder might help? I was with the understanding that blackhorn 209 likes a tight fitting bullet. Perhaps good old black powder might work. Just a thought.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Banned

Possibly. I only bought a 15 pack so I don't really have a lot of practice with. I never planned on hunting with them so it was mostly for fun and to get some water tests with.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

My wallet's learned to stick with the 295gr Powerbelt copperHPs (closeout buy) and 300gr XTPs (bulk buy). No more experimenting, unless Cecil wants to feed me a few more pks of freebie bullets. Wish I could find the Platinums on closeout. That's the best Powerbelt out there.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Banned

That's funny because I had the rifle sighted in from September with 100gr BH209 and the 338gr platinum. After the first 4 shots with the bor lock, I took a shot with the 338gr platinum and put it 1 1/2" high of the bulls eye. Same place it was during hunting season. I was happy with that.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

The sleeve sliding forward is supposed to tighten up the fit when fired. Did you recover any bullets to check the sleeve for rifling imprint? They're supposed to load eas
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

Yes, I recovered a few bases as well. They all had rifling on them but I never looked to see how deep. I can get one off the range later and take a look. the 270 copper version shot beautifully. These, they want low doses of powder it seems. For this rifle anyway. I may have to try them in the Wolf.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

See if you can shoot one with a low load of powder that won't expand the bullet but will shove the sleeve forward. Then see how tight it fits in the bore.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a thought.

Does heavy seating pressure make it tighter in the bore before firing? Without wasting powder a small piece is dowel rod could be used to simulate a powder column. Seat one easily on a dowel rod. Remove the plug and dowel rod. Try to push it back out from the breach end.

Repeat with a BOR-Lock seated heavily on the dowel rod....Is it harder to push out now?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
...... the 270 copper version shot beautifully. These, they want low doses of powder it seems. For this rifle anyway. I may have to try them in the Wolf.
Just a thought: Did the 350 gr. and 270 gr. seem to load w/similar force? Just wondering if the 350 w/the heavier powder charge and a loose bore is allowing the rubber base to expand too much in the bore(maybe creating blowby) in conjunction w/the extra weight of the slug. The lower charge would effect the rubber base less, possibly being the reason 80 gr. works better. Do you still have both examples to do a mic comparison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.