Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sabotless Shoot Preparations >

Sabotless Shoot Preparations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabotless Shoot Preparations

Old 02-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sabotless Shoot Preparations

Tonight I decided to shim up a breech plug to shoot and test regular CCI shot shell primers. I have no interest or need to use a Magnum primer with a Lehigh/Knight breech plug. Got that project done and decided to try another project.

Several months ago GM54-120 sent me some Parker Extreme 45x275 gr. Ballistic Extremes. I have never found the time to shoot them, but tonight and after talking to GM though I would give them a shot tomorrow in the Rock Pit.

These older BE have a diameter of 0.4505" and they actually slide down the barrel of all three of my 45 cal. rifles. Another note of interest that GM shared was the copper on them was only 0.015" thick. These bullets are ideal for re-sizing. My problem was the opposite I needed to size them up! So I decided to knurl them between two files.

Here is a composite picture of what I did with these bullets... The pictures label the bullet as 40x275 - that is a typo on my part - INCORRECT - the bullets are a 45x275!

After knurling I pulled the BP on the Super DISC and ran some of the newly formed bullets down thru the bore - perfect!

There are two bullets in the pictures - the yellow tip Parkers are the older BE with a diameter of 0.4505. The second with the black tip are the new ones that parker is producing now. They are produced with a diameter of 0.451" with the same 0.015" copper case around the bullet.

Since the gun was right there and the BP was out I decided to try those through the bore. When I first inserted the bullet in the crown - I really was not so sure that it was going to go down. I did not even try a short starter - but it would have really worked well. I pushed the bullet through the crown and then down the bore with the range rod. It was snug but it went down really well and popped out on the floor.

So tomorrow - I will try both bullets in the Rock Pit... weather is suppose to be really good...

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-10-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

You do realize you're going to have to change your forum name to BareNakedBullet don't you?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
You do realize you're going to have to change your forum name to BareNakedBullet don't you?
OUCH! Maybe a reality series could develop out of that title!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Can't wait for this report. I'd like to see how these bullet shoot.