Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Barnes MZ aligner tool >

Barnes MZ aligner tool

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes MZ aligner tool

Old 02-06-2016, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Took a trip over to Spinjag's webpage. They've been busy. They do have jags specific to some Parker bullets. They did not allow just the tips to interchange, no doubt hoping for an occasional $20 sale versus multiple $7's.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
That alignment tool made specifically for Barnes MZ bullets is not like the spin jag. It's name is very misleading actually. It is solely designed to fit the olgive and nose contour of that specific bullet. It does NOT have a bore alignment ring that is 50 caliber specific like the spin jag does. It's simply a fitted end loader for a specific bullet. That in itself MAY allow for better alignment but not as well as a spin jag with a bore fitting ring to keep the jag straight would be.

Barnes Alignment head:

Spin Jag:

Notice the alignment ring on the Spinjag?
Wrong. I've owned both of those jags. They both fit the bore tight. The Spinjag is cut smaller in the front is to keep the jag from pinching sabots. The Barnes doesn't have that, but the whole jag is the same size.

Your assumption is the Barnes is the same size as the cut away part of the Spinjag. It's not. It's the same size as the larger part of the Spinjag.

They both fit the bore tight. If anything the Barnes might fit tighter.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Wrong. I've owned both of those jags. They both fit the bore tight. The Spinjag is cut smaller in the front is to keep the jag from pinching sabots. The Barnes doesn't have that, but the whole jag is the same size.

Your assumption is the Barnes is the same size as the cut away part of the Spinjag. It's not. It's the same size as the larger part of the Spinjag.

They both fit the bore tight. If anything the Barnes might fit tighter.
That isn't my assumption. I expect the Barnes jag to be just as you describe. My suggestion is the spinjag could end just above the enlarged bore size section, and provide tips for different bullets attached at that point, designed like the spin jag tip and offered by spinjag.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't quote you. I do agree the Spinjag is a better option for what you're trying to do.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pete, you obviously didn't pay attention to either jag then. The larger part of the spin jag isn't what rides the bore, it's the alignment ring at the upper part of the jag that rides the bore and keeps it centered. I also have both and can tell you without a doubt that the barnes jag does NOT ride the bore. It's not sloppy and there isn't a LOT of play (couldn't use it for a cleaning jag) but there is play and it doesn't ride the lands.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Barnes is tight enough to keep it centered in the bore. They even advertise it that way.

The Spinjag has that ring so the front can spin freely.