Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

R.E.A.L bullets?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by caplock
With my eye's and abilities with open sights I shouldn't shoot at anything past 100 yards anyway.😄 Do you think they would be an ok Colorado elk bullet?
IMO just about any .54 cal projectile will be good enough for elk if you do your part. They've been knocking them down with patched round balls for years. So a REAL should do well.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
IMO just about any .54 cal projectile will be good enough for elk if you do your part. They've been knocking them down with patched round balls for years. So a REAL should do well.
I will second that. My testing was with a 50 but the 54 should do better. If it is accurate in your rifle and you put it where it needs to be there will be a dead elk.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
I will second that. My testing was with a 50 but the 54 should do better. If it is accurate in your rifle and you put it where it needs to be there will be a dead elk.
Ron,

Have you ever experimented with paper patching a .54 or have you exclusively developed a load and bullet for .50 caliber?

BPS
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the R.E.A.L. myself in 54 cal but shoot it with 50grns of T7 for paper punching and at 50yds it will shoot ragged holes out of a Green Mtn barreled Renegade and iron sights.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Ron,

Have you ever experimented with paper patching a .54 or have you exclusively developed a load and bullet for .50 caliber?

BPS
I bought a Lee Minie mould for a 54. I think it was .533. It was a hollow base bullet and I thought it would work great. A guy I know bought the gun and the mould. I haven't heard if he has tried it.