Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
House-esteria - Oh what a relief! >

House-esteria - Oh what a relief!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

House-esteria - Oh what a relief!

Old 02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default House-esteria - Oh what a relief!

I hate being cooped up in the house and today I decided to do something about gathered things up and headed to the Rock Pit...

I had no real set plan as to what I was going to do - I was just hoping the snow had melted back enough that I could even get there... but it really didn't matter - even the drive out into the woods was going to be good!

I was easily able to get into the Rock Pit so it was now going to be a great day!!!

Setup the things I needed to get my shoot in. The rock pit is an excellent 100 yard shooting area and I had it all to myself. I walked 8 clay pigeons down to the rock wall and set them up for shooting. Got the portable bench set up and the loading equipment set up on the tailgate of the pick up.

Since I had shot the 45 the last time I shot whenever that was I decided to take my rifle season 50 cal. Knight Ultra-Lite for this trip. In this particular rifle I shoot 120 grains of T7-2f started with a W209 primer. I also used one of my most favorite bullets, Lehigh/Knight .458x275 grain Bloodlines. IMO - they are probably the best all around bullets made. The rifle was scoped with a Redfield Revenge Hunter scope - 3x9x42 with Range Finding Accru-Ranger reticule.

I should also tell you the rifle is slightly modified from what you would get from Knight in that I have taken the super light Kevlar stock off and installed the rifle in a DISC Elite thumbhole stock. It is a few ounces heavier but I really do like shooting a thumbhole stock - even when hunting. I have also removed the Mountaineer style bolt with the primer rails on the nose of the bolt and substituted a DISC bolt with a primer adapter. This setup is much easier for me to get primers in the right spot while hunting or even shooting a range session.

After I got everything set - I started shooting the clays... everything went along swimmingly - one shot one bird... When I was nearing the end I shot one of the upper birds and the debris from that bird dropped down onto a lower bird causing it to slide on the rock shelf and lay itself down almost flat. The bird remained intact but looking at it through the scope it was going to be a difficult shot. I could not hit the bird by shooting a little bit low as the rock shelf protected it from a low shot. It would certainly be easy to shoot over it and hope maybe/possibly the splatter of the bullet or broken rock pieces might get the bird. I decided I wanted to try to get the bird by actually shooting it... I had the black edge of the bird and a bit of the orange of the partially flat bird in the scope and thought it offered enough of a target that I could get the bird. Took the shot and the bird was gone!! - literally. I felt quite good with that shot...

So good... I looked through the scope at some bird bits to the right of where I had been shooting. There were 4 chips that were easily seen through the scope. I felt really good about my chances at 'chip shooting' - the shoot continued. Loaded up for more shots and cleaned up the chips....

Then it started snowing - not just a little bit as it had been doing but snowing! Packed up and headed out... Tuesday is suppose to be a really nice day - maybe just maybe!!!!

Here are a couple of photo composites showing the trip....

Old 02-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you had a fun day. Going to be a while before I have any fun like that.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some fine shooting.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's dedication Sabotloader, and some mighty fine shooting.

Given the number of birds you've shot at the rock pit, I suspect the ground level elevation has risen a foot or two.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's dedication Sabotloader, and some mighty fine shooting.

Given the number of birds you've shot at the rock pit, I suspect the ground level elevation has risen a foot or two.
I will tell you I am contributing to the amount of 'pit run' gravel at the base of the wall...
Old 02-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good for you. And good shooting.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Looks like you had a fun day. Going to be a while before I have any fun like that.
Speaking of that - how are you doing?

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice shooting and a lot of fun I bet. Any time I can get a chance I walk out the back door and shoot. Although the snow is getting pretty deep to trudge through. I might have to snow blow a patch to the 50 yard line at least.

That is a nice looking rifle. And I bet with that powder charge a devastating load.

They are claiming a large blizzard will hit my area some time after noon. So no shooting today. Need to bring in fire wood. I am sure you can sneak out again soon. Have fun.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Speaking of that - how are you doing?
I'm doing quite well thank you. The 2 imps I call grandsons do not seem to be transferring their germs to me like before or maybe I just built up an immunity to them. Even though they are my constant companions. They are my only saving grace down here.
Nothing really to do down in this "Sunshine State" that tickles my fancy. I've been hitting up some local pawn shops looking for that deal on a sidelock laying in a corner somewhere.
But the gun gods may be smiling on me as there are 2 gun shows coming up in February that are really close to me. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a caplock, or better yet, a flinter to take home and fondle.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm doing quite well thank you. The 2 imps I call grandsons do not seem to be transferring their germs to me like before or maybe I just built up an immunity to them. Even though they are my constant companions. They are my only saving grace down here.
Nothing really to do down in this "Sunshine State" that tickles my fancy. I've been hitting up some local pawn shops looking for that deal on a sidelock laying in a corner somewhere.
But the gun gods may be smiling on me as there are 2 gun shows coming up in February that are really close to me. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a caplock, or better yet, a flinter to take home and fondle.
You're not suppose to be shopping - you are soaking up the sun and entertaining the kids... Just so you know I am heading to the Rock Pit in a little bit to do some shooting - gotta go before the snow comes again/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.