Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sharps 1846 Falling Block Percussion. >

Sharps 1846 Falling Block Percussion.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sharps 1846 Falling Block Percussion.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Topic moved as some dummy (ME) put it in the wrong forum.

Sorry about that.

Dave........JW
Old 01-29-2016, 06:06 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Anybody have any good info on how to make a papercharge for this thing?

JW
Old 01-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Google "video for making a paper cartridge" pretty fair amount of info. I have found it is much easier to show on video than it is to try to get someone to understand the various intricacies of some things.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I saw the videos but didn't really describe paper type or length much. I just ordered a book from Track of The Wolf on Paper load making as well as some .54 cal 435 gr bullets.

I should have ordered lube too but don't what brand to try. My Dad had a box full of bullet molds but I haven't found them yet. I very well may have .54 cal bullet mold. I have a handle of lead conicals I use for demo in my Black Powder part for Hunter Ed class.
And I went on a few Gun sales sights and was surprised at the resale of this piece.

Easiest is to just fill with powder as I have the right funneled measure to do that.

Dave.....JW
Old 01-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. All the paper cartridge does really is make it faster reloading. Impregnating paper with a potassium nitrate solution then forming them is a pain in the rear. As far as sizing the paper for your chamber, that's pretty easy. But you want to use a mandrel for making the tube and I always used the "cup" method rather than shearing the tail. The "cup" is making a cup base facing the percussion cap with a very thin and small square of curler wrapping paper. The fire from a #11 will blow right through that and set off your powder much better. Just reload the chamber as you suggested but use some caution Dave and make sure you blow out any missed/spilled powder on the outside of the chamber. Your hairline and eyebrows will thank you. Don't ask me how I made that discovery Been quite a few years since I messed with one of those old girls but I did enjoy them. One thing I would suggest on the powder is to use #2 Swiss or Goex. #3 will eat your throat faster. Especially #3 Swiss.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey thanks.......actually got the bug now to shoot it bad but need to wait to get to my north home.

And I have decided to smoke all wild turkeys this yr or stick em. My Ole Meat in the Pot 1187 is going to hate me.

thanks all for the help.
JW
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well to date my bullets came. Fit is perfect! And paper tubes have come and have yet to try and load them. And I found end wrap papers and need to try my own paper loads.

I am waiting bullet lube and I am contemplating sending the Sharps rifle off to a gunsmith for a Marbles Tang Peep sight and new front sight. As I can't see the Box horn/front pin correctly. Old eyes.

And I tore the firearm completely down. It is in pristine shape. I do think I will JB the barrel so have ordered that too.

Oh and I am looking for a source of Ballistrol.

Soon I will be blowing smoke.....in fact I think I just go load without paper later today to just hear it bang! I have some black powder shotgun wad lube I use. It does say mini ball lube too. So I might as well grease up a few bullets - take 80gr of some real black powder I have from my dad. It is old but has been kept dry. To see how she shoots!

JW
Old 02-10-2016, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW

Oh and I am looking for a source of Ballistrol.

JW
JW,

If you mean Ballistol... Midsouth Shooters Supply has it for $13.27 for a 16 oz. can. Darn near five bucks cheaper than what Midway USA wants for it!!

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...s-Oil-16-Fl-Oz

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-11-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Thanks BPS

I found some .54 lead balls at Midwest Shooters Supply and bought a bottle of Shockleys FFg. I will try some of my old Black Powder too.

But I am about ready to learn to load paper cartridges now. Both round ball and mini.
Even have some old Lymans bullet lube to try from my dad.

soon - I will be shooting.

JW
Old 02-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a cool rifle. Can't wait to see your shooting report on it. Speaking of Marble's they make some really high quality stuff. I have an old stag horn handled knife that was passed down to me from my great grandfather. The steel on that thing is super hard. I have a fetish about having a razor sharp knife and it took me forever to get it shaving sharp. But man does that hold an edge. I really like that hatchet you have with the blade cove that swings into the handle. Pretty neat.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-12-2016 at 05:06 PM.