Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Breech plug question >

Breech plug question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug question

Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breech plug question

This question DOES NOT include any finger tightening or QR style breech plugs.

For those who use a tool to tighten your breech plugs, has anyone actually verified the torque you apply seating it?

Don't need a single comparison concerning breech plugs or other comments.

Looking for someone who may have actually checked the torque (inch pounds) that they actually used.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never have. I use Teflon tape and turn them in until I feel them touch the seat. Probably would not be enough torque to measure.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

No need to torque a BP, just stop when the plug comes to the end of the breech threads. As long as its tight/snug is all that's needed or else your gonna have a time getting it out after several shots.

I still use this method on my Whites and did on my former Encore, System 1 rifles.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fully understand how its done

Just need to know if someone has ever checked and what it was.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess so far the answer is no barnes. Is there a reason for this question or are you just curious? Do you believe consistent torquing will lead to better accuracy?
Now you have me curious.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I guess so far the answer is no barnes. Is there a reason for this question or are you just curious? Do you believe consistent torquing will lead to better accuracy?
Now you have me curious.
I'm working on something, so yes there is a reason. Pleas don't ask

Most will agree, I'm the odd ball. One can get a million opinions on what bullet, what sabot, heck even what rifle. I prefer finding ways to make rifles more accurate, so the answer to your last question could be, maybe.

I'd rather get into technical issues than to argue constantly what rifle is better or, what bullet is better. It surprises me to know, nobody knows what they tighten their plug to. I guess its, "If it works, I'm doing it right".
Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like you I strive for more accuracy. I see you think "out of the box" so to speak. And I can see where it could be possible that difference in sealing pressure may cause fluctuations in pressure which could affect accuracy.
Please fill us in on any testing you do.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Like you I strive for more accuracy. I see you think "out of the box" so to speak. And I can see where it could be possible that difference in sealing pressure may cause fluctuations in pressure which could affect accuracy.
Please fill us in on any testing you do.
that makes sense in my white rifles i turn them in with the tool by hand then back out a touch thinking the thread grease keeps blowback pressure in the barrel ? the threads are never black but that's a good idea to look at ?
Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a tinkerer myself, as you likely know. So this kind of thing gets my interest.

My thoughts are that if a breech plug is getting blow-by around the threads it may be possible that varying amounts of blow-by, shot-to-shot, could have a slight effect on pressure/velocity, and perhaps grouping.

But if the plug is sealed with no blow-by, I can't imagine the degree of torque could have any effect on anything other than how hard it may be to remove the plug.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'm a tinkerer myself, as you likely know. So this kind of thing gets my interest.

My thoughts are that if a breech plug is getting blow-by around the threads it may be possible that varying amounts of blow-by, shot-to-shot, could have a slight effect on pressure/velocity, and perhaps grouping.

But if the plug is sealed with no blow-by, I can't imagine the degree of torque could have any effect on anything other than how hard it may be to remove the plug.
Glad you're thinking about it

Torque could definitely have an impact on how hard the plug removes. On the other hand, what torque is applied to keep the plug sealed............. assuming you have a good plug/barrel and not using tape or other sealers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.