Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition) >

The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition)

Old 11-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition)

Things are really slow on the forum so I thought I would post some pictures of my latest acquisition.

The guy I bought it from said he had it built in 1976. He said the barrel was made by Sharon, but didn't remember the builder's name. There are no names, dates, or any other markings on the barrel.

Whoever the builder was did a good job. It's heavily browned and has pleasing lines.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-29-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty sure the whole thing is Sharon built Semi. They used Davis locks and pretty much any wood you wanted and sold them as "kits" or as total builds. Hall was a pretty dang good barrel maker and builder but back then (70's and 80's) muzzleloaders just didn't have the attraction they do now and he went bankrupt. If you find you a Hall Sharon barrel hang on to it like a python because you would be hard pressed to find a better shooting big bore ML barrel on the planet.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for that info Super Hunt. I'd heard of Sharon barrels, but did not know they (he?) built guns.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

When you shoot it, you will see why Sharon barrels are so desired. Nice looking rifle.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

He started off building just barrels. Not long after he started producing kits and such he went belly up. Many of the Friendship matches were won with his barrels back then. Even his "reject" barrels were pretty darn sporty and he would sell them by the barrel full at Friendship meets. What he called a reject, most producers of today would call perfection and charge you a mint for! As I said, hang on tight to that one Semi, you will be hard pressed to find a better shooter.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:12 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
As I said, hang on tight to that one Semi, you will be hard pressed to find a better shooter.
Don't listen to such nonsense ,i will make you a deal on it get her boxed up and ready to ship to me

Old 11-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a sweet looking rifle. That stock looks a lot like the one I got from Pecatonica Long Rifle Supply. Can't wait to see your range report on it.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to modify that front sight and put a 45 degree angle in the back to help grab some light...Other than that, with 100-120grs FFF Goex I bet she will put down anything she is pointed at...
Old 11-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a very nice rifle.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice gun, but the modern peep on it would have to go if it was mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.