Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod? >

CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura V2 LR - 3rd Party Ramrod?

Old 11-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabinajiles
The solid aluminum ramrod CVA uses is purposely made of softer material than your barrel so it will wear, and not the crown of your barrel, if you do scrape it while loading or unloading. I would suggest that you get a solid brass range rod to use for cleaning and most of your loading. Sand down your rifle's damaged ramrod, repaint it and only use it for reloading in the field.
Sorry to tell you this, but those aluminum rods surely can and have worn crowns. I've had more than a few rifles come to me to get cut and crowned because people thought that very same thing. Even brass cleaning rods can wear on a crown. ANY metal to metal contact friction can wear on the stronger metal over time and misuse.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Sorry to tell you this, but those aluminum rods surely can and have worn crowns. I've had more than a few rifles come to me to get cut and crowned because people thought that very same thing. Even brass cleaning rods can wear on a crown. ANY metal to metal contact friction can wear on the stronger metal over time and misuse.
I am aware and understand this. Even wooden ramrods will wear crowns over time, especially when dirty. However, I would wager that many, maybe most, of today's inines are purchased by hunters wishing to extend their season, only used for a several week period and really aren't loaded and cleaned that many times during a typical year. These owners will probably never experience any problems from crown wear but this certainly doesn't mean that every owner should not try to practice good technique when loading and cleaning.

Last edited by sabinajiles; 11-26-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

CVA has a QLA. I doubt the ramrod could do any damage that would affect accuracy. The paint they put on the ramrods is really cheap, and comes off easily. Most of it coming off is from the thimbles.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

CVA has a QLA. I doubt the ramrod could do any damage that would affect accuracy.
Thats kinda what i was thinking too.