Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
This Could Have Turned Out Bad >

This Could Have Turned Out Bad

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This Could Have Turned Out Bad

Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

Default Best fo the job

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
There is no doubt that a conical is better than a round ball and a lot of newer bullets are better than a conical and sabotless bullets shot with 140 gr blackhorn are better yet. If it was all about ballistic tables . But its not . Some just like a nice slow twist sidelock , real black powder and a roundball . It has limitations but it is an effective deer killer within those limitations . And everyone is susceptible to wounding a deer sooner or later , in hunting its just one of those things that happens even when we try to eliminate any factors that might cause it .

I generally use the best tool for any given job, now subject to my physical limitations. Many years ago when I hunted PA, they started a Primitive season that required roundball. I suppose I could have used a 20 gauge flint fowler, but that did not occur to me at the time. Since I could not ethically hunt with a smaller caliber roundball, I did not participate in the season at all. However, although the idea of an inline with a scope is interesting, I feel that is going too far in the other direction. It's not in the spirit of "Primitive." I could see it as a choice for regular rifle season, though.

I'm only adverse to equipment that carries a greater possibility of wounding game. That's not the sort of image I want to be, especially with non-hunters itching to end sport hunting.

OldBob
Old 12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Banned

Default Kudos!

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've had to read this twice, because you posted it on Jon's forum too. I was going to let it go, but since you want to show it, i'll make a comment.

I have nothing negative to say about using a round ball, or the results that you got. You got the animal, and that's the bottom line.

I will offer my own way of taking shots. If I ever have a negative thought on a shot. If I say to myself..should I take this shot? I never take it. I have to be 100% positive on all shots, before I squeeze the trigger. It's what I was taught as a kid, and it's served we well.

Just saying.
MH,
May you never regret taking a shot.

OldBob
Old 12-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Banned

Default Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It also explains why you'll shoot at anything.
MH,

Was this about deer, or dear?

OldBob
Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Banned

Default Joking

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
No !no !no ! Before i pull the trigger I have to be at least 1% positive that i have even a small chance of hitting it.

I understand that you jest, but there are people out in the woods who seem to subscribe to that philosophy. Mostly in regular rifle season.

OldBob
Old 12-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're right, there are people out there that do not like hunting and would like to put an end to it. That's exactly why hunters ought to stick together and respect other hunters right to use the legal method they prefer to shoot their deer. United we stand.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
You're right, there are people out there that do not like hunting and would like to put an end to it. That's exactly why hunters ought to stick together and respect other hunters right to use the legal method they prefer to shoot their deer. United we stand.
Flounder, sometimes just because a certain method is legal doesn't make it ethical. You have MANY people out there attempting shots at ranges they have never practiced for and have 0 capabilities at. They are well within their legal rights but they are unethical by a long shot. (pun intended, good one wasn't it ) Sometimes, in my own little opinion anyway, people do need to be called out for their unethical practices. I see Bob's point on round ball usage by SOME PEOPLE but not everyone. It is actually up to us not the Government to "police" our own hunters ranks and to try to educate our hunters to be ethical as well as legal. Bob seems to be 100% against the use of PRB period and that I do NOT agree with at all. What I do agree with is trying to educate people about the practical and ethical range limitations of the round ball. I personally haven't used PRB in so many years I have a hard time remembering using them but I do remember the extreme effectiveness of them at PROPER ranges.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many years ago when I hunted PA, they started a Primitive season that required roundball. I suppose I could have used a 20 gauge flint fowler, but that did not occur to me at the time. Since I could not ethically hunt with a smaller caliber roundball, I did not participate in the season at all. However, although the idea of an inline with a scope is interesting, I feel that is going too far in the other direction. It's not in the spirit of "Primitive." I could see it as a choice for regular rifle season, though.
The logic escapes me OldBob. Do you really think a 20 gauge fowler would be a better choice (more lethal?) or a more acceptable choice (more ethical?) than something like a .50 or .54 iron sighted rifle? If shot placement is key, isn't the rifle more accurate than the smoothie, and don't the sights on a rifle make shot placement more sure than a fowler which has no rear sight?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Flounder, sometimes just because a certain method is legal doesn't make it ethical. You have MANY people out there attempting shots at ranges they have never practiced for and have 0 capabilities at. They are well within their legal rights but they are unethical by a long shot. (pun intended, good one wasn't it ) Sometimes, in my own little opinion anyway, people do need to be called out for their unethical practices. I see Bob's point on round ball usage by SOME PEOPLE but not everyone. It is actually up to us not the Government to "police" our own hunters ranks and to try to educate our hunters to be ethical as well as legal. Bob seems to be 100% against the use of PRB period and that I do NOT agree with at all. What I do agree with is trying to educate people about the practical and ethical range limitations of the round ball. I personally haven't used PRB in so many years I have a hard time remembering using them but I do remember the extreme effectiveness of them at PROPER ranges.
I wonder if my deer at 223 and 234 with a triumph and shockwaves were unethical ❓, or my antelope at 307 with my knight and a lehigh ,❓ or my deer at 176 and 219 with open sights ❓ actually the most unethical in some peoples eyes would have to be the 515 yard shot , Yes 515 with a muzzleloader and it equaled dead deer .

Old 12-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Default legal?

Originally Posted by flounder33
flounder33,
The problem with that idea is that the game laws are formulated by Game Commissions, and ballistic experts they ain't.

OldBob
Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't have to be a ballistic expert to know its ethical to shoot a deer with a round ball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.