Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
JHP Vs. Pointed Bullets >

JHP Vs. Pointed Bullets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JHP Vs. Pointed Bullets

Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 AM
Typical Buck

i shoot a tc triumph with a 100grainsof bh209 & a barnes tez 290 gr bullet it's pointy & has killed everything deer i've ever shot with it at ranges from 15 yrds to 250 yrs &but now i've also got a tc impact using 90 gr of 209 & a 300 gr barnes expander & hoping to find out what that combo does & range will be 100 yrds or less & more in thick cover or would i be better to contining using the tez 290 pointy bullets
i also bought some bloodline 250 gr hollow point but were to hard to load but just got some mmp ez pellets & will see how they load after fouling the barrel with a few shots
Old 11-23-2015, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
i shoot a tc triumph with a 100grainsof bh209 & a barnes tez 290 gr bullet it's pointy & has killed everything deer i've ever shot with it at ranges from 15 yrds to 250 yrs &but now i've also got a tc impact using 90 gr of 209 & a 300 gr barnes expander & hoping to find out what that combo does & range will be 100 yrds or less & more in thick cover or would i be better to contining using the tez 290 pointy bullets
i also bought some bloodline 250 gr hollow point but were to hard to load but just got some mmp ez pellets & will see how they load after fouling the barrel with a few shots
The Expander with the large hollow point works beautiful. It opens quickly and creates a devastating wound channel.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info how well does it work hunting in thick brush or lot of trees ?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
thanks for the info how well does it work hunting in thick brush or lot of trees ?
The same as any other bullet. Hitting a tree, branch or brush can deflect any bullet made. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

again thanks for the info
Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You got three very good ones in the TEZs, Expanders and Bloodlines. Bullet choices won't be any concern with you anymore.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

thanks did alot of searching & field testing & not knpcking t/c bullets or sabots but when i shot game with theirs they never left a blood trail had to see them drop on sight