Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A couple simple tricks for flints!! >

A couple simple tricks for flints!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A couple simple tricks for flints!!

Old 11-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A couple simple tricks for flints!!

On my Colorado thread some talk came up about Flintlocks. And I always smile when people talk and complain about issues that happen while using Flintlocks. I'm gonna explain how to keep a couple from happening very easily.

Ill start with flints. I'll just assume you already know how to change and set a flint to your frizzen. I have a rule were 1 flint is only good for 10 shots in the hunting woods. That's 5 shots on one side of the flint and 5 on the other side of the flint. A good agate flint is what $2.00 bucks?? I can afford that for a hunting season. And those flints after hunting season go in a box marked used for target practice and messin around.

The next is pan powder. You need to analyze your hunting conditions by your pan powder. On damp cold mornings you'll notice your pan powder is clumped and hard to clean out when cleaning it off with your pick. On really cold dry mornings that powder will just fall out. No pick needed at all. That's actually the best time for me using my Flintlock.

The solution I have found in all conditions is change your pan powder every 20 minutes. I don't care what the weather is like out. And make sure your not using to much pan powder. It takes very little and you'll see you wont have any delays. The biggest reasons for delays is people use to much pan powder.
Make sure when putting new pan powder in to get some in the touch hole. That will help make your flintlock go off every time.

You follow these two simple steps your delays, not firing, no spark, etc will be issues of the past.

Last edited by Grouse45; 11-21-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Banned

if you are using agate flints, you don't know what good flints are
Old 11-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with your hints. I always hunt on a new flint. And pan powder, depending on weather, I check it about every 45 minutes. If its clumping, its changed more often. Also I am a firm believer that in the pan, less is better. I put a small about of pan powder on the outside edge of the pan and I find I get large long sparks when it goes off.

Also I wipe the pan with an alcohol towelette. Then dry it with paper towel when I change the pan. I can then see that the pan is bone dry. I also like Agates when I hunt. Lyman makes the best Agates. Much better and cheaper then T/C agates.

If I use flints and they are hump back. I set them in a vise and with a diamond muzzy wheel on my Dremel tool, grind the humps off them so the jaws of the lock can grab a nice flat area on the flint.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I agree with your hints. I always hunt on a new flint. And pan powder, depending on weather, I check it about every 45 minutes. If its clumping, its changed more often. Also I am a firm believer that in the pan, less is better. I put a small about of pan powder on the outside edge of the pan and I find I get large long sparks when it goes off.

Also I wipe the pan with an alcohol towelette. Then dry it with paper towel when I change the pan. I can then see that the pan is bone dry. I also like Agates when I hunt. Lyman makes the best Agates. Much better and cheaper then T/C agates.

If I use flints and they are hump back. I set them in a vise and with a diamond muzzy wheel on my Dremel tool, grind the humps off them so the jaws of the lock can grab a nice flat area on the flint.
I always wipe my frizzen and flint with alcohol. The oil from your skin can cause issues for sure.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many years a go on a hunting trip to WI stopped at a rock quarry that was selling out, I purchased 5 pounds of floured black blasting powder. It is by far and away the best pan powder I have ever used. There is no graphite in it so it does not pour quite as well as regular black and it is finer than 5F. after all these years [this was in the late 70's] it still works just as good as when I bought it.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I have a different opinion on most of what you say...First, I fill my pans but my flintlocks are custom made, one by me, one by Bob Watts that I bought in the 70s..I can fill mine because the touchhole is in the proper position, high and behind the heel of the frizzen when closed...This way it doesn't plug with powder which gives the fuse effect which slows ignition, so of course, I don't plug my touchhole with powder...

I can get 50 shots easily out of a flint and use them like that for hunting because I use Black English flints and I know how to knap than so they will last that long...

When conditions are muggy here in NC, I prime with FFF instead of FFFF...FFF doesn't absorb moisture like FFFF does...
Old 11-22-2015, 06:25 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I solved all the problems by trading my last flintlock for a different gun . I no longer have any flintlocks after tomorrow therefore all the advice , while good , is not needed for me .

Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I solved all the problems by trading my last flintlock for a different gun . I no longer have any flintlocks after tomorrow therefore all the advice , while good , is not needed for me .
To me, that's a shame. If I had the chance I would sell off everything I have BUT my flintlocks. I would love to have a White barrel in a flintlock. So it could shoot conicals. But other then that, my custom rig is just a pleasure to shoot. And I have a Traditions Woodsman that is one of the most dependable flintlocks for going off I ever saw. I even fired it one afternoon, by accident (forgot to load the pan) on just the spark from the flint to the frizzen. None of my other FLs have ever done that. I just find them a real challenge. Not only to shoot but to hunt with. Of course, if I don't score game, its not a big deal to me. As I only feed myself.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Pennsylvania has a Flintlock season which is a great time to hunt. But if your state doesn't actually have a season like that I probably wouldn't use mine near as much. But I would still keep one of them.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been shooting flinters since about 1973. I like the challenge and simplicity of a flinter. And if treated right are reliable firearms if some care in handling is used. I am constantly checking my pan powder. But I also add a product called Powder Dry to a quantity of it before I fill my pan charger. It is the same stuff that you put on arrow fletching (feathers) to prevent them from getting wet. My powder never clogs or lumps up.
And I too use only a bit of powder and put a new flint in prior to the season. I re-knap my old ones and use them during the year.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-26-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.