Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whitetail

Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know what Sabot, after a closer examination (copied the pic and blew the thing up so my blindness could really see it well) that long brow tined buck looks to be older. On his way down hill. From a management standpoint I would take him out. From a deer on the wall and MAYBE some meat that wouldn't require a chainsaw at the dinner table then that last one.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ya know what Sabot, after a closer examination (copied the pic and blew the thing up so my blindness could really see it well) that long brow tined buck looks to be older. On his way down hill. From a management standpoint I would take him out. From a deer on the wall and MAYBE some meat that wouldn't require a chainsaw at the dinner table then that last one.
See I was thinking the 2nd might be the older! So now I need to arrange both deer be together step out and let me take a long hard look at both of them together!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it's not a HUGE difference in age I don't think. You didn't have as good of a face shot on the second deer as the big brow tined one but judging from body posture from relatively the same body position of both deer on the walking away shots the last buck looks to be a year or 2 younger. Big brow tine (just named it that) has a more "squat" in the rear posture and just seems to carry like an old buck. Could be wrong in my estimate as seeing in the real world or good video is always better than pics but from what I can see that's my opinion.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice looking deer. Any of them could grace my table. I have been seeing deer around the property this year. But not a one with "shooter" horns. Not even "legal" horns. I did manage to take pictures of a few as they wandered around in front of me.

That was taken with my Fuji Camera at approximately 25 yards, but I zoomed on the head of the doe, so it would fade the back ground. I like the way the picture turned out. Due to the very small deer herd, we are buck only. And that's a good thing. She has a buck fawn and doe with her.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great looking buck!! I need to try to hunt those deer up there but I don't know where to go.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave- that is very good looking animal. Looks like she is doing well. What is your speculation for the loss of the deer population??
Old 11-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Dave- that is very good looking animal. Looks like she is doing well. What is your speculation for the loss of the deer population??
Years back our DNR ran huge doe kill programs to combat over crowding and CWD. Hunters were shooting four and five does each and it resulted in the herd being decimated. Then we had two severe winters in a row and many of the animals yarded up and froze out or starved. So with the herd at an all time low, many local hunters stopped hunting up here. But worse, they stopped buying license. So the DNR has implemented one deer only and it must be a buck. The herd is starting to come back. I had five deer wandering around here this year.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a nice deer worth hanging around for. I had 2 great bucks on my camera since last January. They were there quite a few times during the summer. I hunted this area for 3 weeks- blackpowder and rifle and only saw a doe. One of the bucks almost ran my hunting buddy over while he was sitting on the ground tho. I started thing what is better in a hunt- seeing lots of deer and maybe seeing a great buck every 4 or 5 years or hunting secluded areas with low deer numbers but a much better chance of seeing a monster. I lean toward numbers after this season.