Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Making a change in Colorado!!! >

Making a change in Colorado!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Making a change in Colorado!!!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Making a change in Colorado!!!

After coming back from another Colorado Elk hunt I'm gonna make a change. With it being so easy to shoot bulls I wanna try something different.

I wanna try getting a Muzzleloader tag and calling a Bull in. I believe this season is in September and a lot of things change. Open sights is one change. And to be honest outside of 50 yards I'm terrible. So Sabotloader helped me order some new sights for the Knight Ultralite. We also got a new sight for my flintlock so I can start practicing right after rifle season. Might just shoot a few Deer with a Flintlock for Semisane to show us inline guys can get it done either way.

Another challenge will be bullets. Again Sabotloader got that figured out I believe for my Ultralite and Mountaineer my friend will use.

Another challenge could be powder??? Might need to switch to 777. Not sure yet but it's possible.

Another challenge will be learning to call a Bull in. Anybody got experience doing it I would appreciate some advice.

Another challenge will be weather. Could be tuff getting the meat out in a timely fashion. I hunt pretty high and it's a long hard walk.

Then maybe the hardest challenge will be getting a tag for that season. But gotta do some research on that.

I also agreed to do some testing and supply some data for Colorado this winter so maybe that will help get me a tag??? Lol, I doubt it.

I got my GPS and gonna start learning that. I can already tell why I never used one before.

So if I can find a way to put all this together and get a Bull, I might just pick another state or pick another animal and try something different.

I'm already talking next year, and hunting season is just starting for guns lol
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

SO EASY TO SHOOT BULLS! Holy crap. I've been on 4 elk hunts and have yet to drop a hammer or release an arrow! Saw lots of cows and small bulls but never one I wanted to shoot. I'm almost ready to concede the fact that I will not have an elk mount on my wall. Now on one of those hunts my pal won the coin toss and shot a nice bull. That elk meat sure is tasty.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
After coming back from another Colorado Elk hunt I'm gonna make a change. With it being so easy to shoot bulls I wanna try something different.

I wanna try getting a Muzzleloader tag and calling a Bull in. I believe this season is in September and a lot of things change. Open sights is one change. And to be honest outside of 50 yards I'm terrible. So Sabotloader helped me order some new sights for the Knight Ultralite. We also got a new sight for my flintlock so I can start practicing right after rifle season. Might just shoot a few Deer with a Flintlock for Semisane to show us inline guys can get it done either way.

Another challenge will be bullets. Again Sabotloader got that figured out I believe for my Ultralite and Mountaineer my friend will use.

Another challenge could be powder??? Might need to switch to 777. Not sure yet but it's possible.

Another challenge will be learning to call a Bull in. Anybody got experience doing it I would appreciate some advice.

Another challenge will be weather. Could be tuff getting the meat out in a timely fashion. I hunt pretty high and it's a long hard walk.

Then maybe the hardest challenge will be getting a tag for that season. But gotta do some research on that.

I also agreed to do some testing and supply some data for Colorado this winter so maybe that will help get me a tag??? Lol, I doubt it.

I got my GPS and gonna start learning that. I can already tell why I never used one before.

So if I can find a way to put all this together and get a Bull, I might just pick another state or pick another animal and try something different.

I'm already talking next year, and hunting season is just starting for guns lol
Not sure why you would go away from BH??? You are so accustomed to it and it will work fine for you in CO with the ability to shoot 209 primers.

By placing a wad under the 50 cal. bullet you will be able to shoot BH and retain gas pressure.

You will also be surprised how efficient you can be with a peep and the Fire Sight hood. You will feel you are looking through a 1X power scope. As soon as you learn to rust your and just 'look through' peep it will all fall in place. If you start trying to center the front sight in the peep you will be battling - your eye and brain will do that if you let it.

When you through and under the hood make sure you are using a figure eight - 8 - sight picture. the fiber optic bead is to big to place it OVER the spot you want to hit. Once you get a hang of it you will be surprised how easy it can be. Your Ultra-Lite is an excellent shooter so all that is left is you getting comfortable with the sight.

I tell you right now I am comfortable on a deer at 150 and an elk at 175. Just make sure you use the largest peep aperture that comes with the sight. In low light you are going to need it in regular light you will not even notice it . It will fit the size of the hood almost perfectly.

Also you as a target shooter will not like the big aperture - in fact if you were shooting paper for money you would use a much smaller aperture. Also remember the aperture needs to be tight to hold the elevation in place.

I am excited that you are taking this trip back to open sights - it will actually make you a better shooter.

Good luck...

This is a composite picture of one of my last trips shooting the ULite with the peep setup.

For sighting in and target shooting what I do is cut a 'stick on' bull in half and place that on the target. Then when aiming I put the half bull right on top of the bead.

This is not a great target but you can see how the half target might work...

The bullet that could work real well for you is the Lehigh/Bloodline .500x325 gr. DOA with a plastic wad underneath.

In some case the 325 is slightly to small in some rifles so a small amount of knurling might be needed.

And remember it does not have to be as tight as you might think for accuracy - it does have to be tight enough to keep the bullet on the powder.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-19-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
SO EASY TO SHOOT BULLS! Holy crap. I've been on 4 elk hunts and have yet to drop a hammer or release an arrow! Saw lots of cows and small bulls but never one I wanted to shoot. I'm almost ready to concede the fact that I will not have an elk mount on my wall. Now on one of those hunts my pal won the coin toss and shot a nice bull. That elk meat sure is tasty.
Saw some monsters on my cow hunt this year... would be nice to see them when i have a bull tag!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Banned

Get some good ol 250-300gr THORS and you will be set.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45

Another challenge could be powder??? Might need to switch to 777.

Another challenge will be weather.
Yep... just go shoot a few deer with a flintlock and let us know how that 777 powder works for ya with a flint ignition. Don't worry if the weather is crappy, we all know those flintlocks are impervious to bad weather conditions so just go shoot a few deer with a flintlock!

BPS
Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Try Parker bullets. they come in 275 or 300 grs. They have yet to let me down. I nailed two does this year with them.

120 yds. 3 shot group:

I'm shooting them in my CVA Apex with BH209, 95 grs.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Banned

no sabots in colorado.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are so stuck on no sabots, why do they allow inlines??? Why not go completely primitive? What is their reasoning for this restriction? Do they restrict optics also?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned

yep as in grouse post, no sabots, no scopes, no pellets, no smokeless power.

With open sights, it doesnt really matter if its traditional or inline as a good deal have limiting factors when it comes to open sights.

I have a hard time now with fiber optics since getting my eyes updated, but thats ok because my hawken sights I set up do beautifully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.