Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Making a change in Colorado!!! >

Making a change in Colorado!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Making a change in Colorado!!!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again... get ready for another 7-8 page thread!

BPS
Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

BPS, you may be right on this one pal!!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

In 2012 Ft. Sill, OK outlawed the use of inline guns during the first week of deer muzzleloader season. Conventional sidelocks using patched round balls or conicals are allowed. Fire sights and sabots are not allowed.

In 2012 i started hunting with patched round balls in .50 and .54 caliber guns. Powder charges are 80 grains for .50 and 90 grains for .54. Since 2012 i've killed 7 or 8 deer using patched round ball. Most kills were bang flops or near bang flops. One deer went about 80 yards leaving a good blood trail.

Made a boo boo this year. Loaded the .54 New Englander with a quick loader containing a 120 grain charge for my Encore. Not to worry, i hunted with it anyway.

Shot a buck with that load. The deer dropped, kicked a short while and expired.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...r/DSC01880.jpg

Have also killed numerous wild hogs with patched round balls. A couple of those hogs went over 250 pounds. No hog went over 100 yards after being hit with a patched round ball.

Put the round ball in the right place and it will do the job on deer and hogs.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Put the round ball in the right place and it will do the job on deer and hogs.
I agree 100%.

But for most hunters making the perfect shot every time is not practical at all. And there are those people who do everything right and that's ok to. But, that's definitely not me.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Yep... just go shoot a few deer with a flintlock and let us know how that 777 powder works for ya with a flint ignition. Don't worry if the weather is crappy, we all know those flintlocks are impervious to bad weather conditions so just go shoot a few deer with a flintlock!

BPS
I missed this but ill gladly teach you how to use a Flintlock since you live in PA. Rain, Snow, wind does not stop us from using a Flintlock successfully. I can also show you how to use 777 in your flintlock as well. Though I still prefer Goex over 777 in my Flintlocks. Its all rather easy, and I believe all can be done for less then $30.00 Bucks.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

And there are those people who do everything right and that's ok to.

Close range has its advantages.

Most of my shots are made from stands at ranges of <60 yards. i won't shoot at an animal over 75 yards away with an iron sighted muzzleloader. Just won't do it.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Banned

Shooter thinks it was a 91cal but in truth, its most likely a 69cal.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my shots are made from stands at ranges of <60 yards. i won't shoot at an animal over 75 yards away with an iron sighted muzzleloader. Just won't do it.
I'm not good enough to shoot my Flintlock past 50 yards. Hopefully that changes with practice.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

See, thats the difference between a good hunter vs a bad hunter accepting a gut shot animal and wanting a bullet to make up for lack of shooting skills or common decency for the animal when the trigger is pulled.

Saying a round ball or any bullet in general isn't good because it doesnt make up for a poor shot is just the shooter not knowing HIS or her limitations.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
See, thats the difference between a good hunter vs a bad hunter accepting a gut shot animal and wanting a bullet to make up for lack of shooting skills or common decency for the animal when the trigger is pulled.

Saying a round ball or any bullet in general isn't good because it doesnt make up for a poor shot is just the shooter not knowing HIS or her limitations.
A true hunter who spends time hunting in all elements in all situations knows unforeseen things happen. From wind, twigs, excitement, temp, and many other examples. They try to use the best possible equipment as possible.

There are also a small percent of people who will use nothing but Flintlocks and patch and round balls. And they have that right to use what they want laws permitting. They also don't believe in percussion caps, number 11's etc.

But those same people with any kind of experience, know there roundballs aren't as effective as other ML bullets. They also know there are better ignition systems then Flints. They just want to hunt primitive and they have every right to, again laws permitting.

You on the other hand, just want to say off the wall things like a roundball is just as effective as any other bullet to argue. Or even a PowerBelt is. But you are in that class of people that doesn't have experience and really doesn't know any better. And you wont know any better until you go hunting and learn on your own. Try some different muzzleloaders, try some different bullets. Quit arguing about facts. You'll be happier in life and a heck of a lot more educated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.