Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My first Black Bear. >

My first Black Bear.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My first Black Bear.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default My first Black Bear.

Shot a 250 lbs. Black Bear with my Black CVA Wolf. 250gr. Barnes Spitfire T-EZ with 110gr. of BH209. Shot it at 65 yards behind the front shoulder and the boar rolled about fifty yards downhill after it was shot. First Black Bear ever taken.

The doe was shot the day before with the same muzzle loader/bullet/powder comb. at 165 yards. She dropped on the spot and never got up. Love that Black Wolf!

[URL=http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Mackesr/media/OUTDOORS/Buds20Bear2_zpsirebyob1.jpg.html][/URL

Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure why the pic did not upload so trying again.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Sweet!! I have never hunted or even had a shot at a bear, but have been in areas where I saw a lot of bear sign. Looks like he had been in a scrap or two with the head scars. Congrats!!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Hoping the doe pic comes up.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Toytruck! We have pics of an even bigger bear on this property and believe that this one may have tangled with it a couple of times. Gives it some character!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

If its prepared right bear meat is very tasty. I had some once that you couldn't tell the difference from roast beef. Just like venison I guess its all about taking care of the meat after the kill.

Are you gonna mount the head or make a rug?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Banned

congrats on the first bear!! Thats a beefy brute you got! Are you going the have the skin tanned and the skull cleaned up?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

I had it caped out for a rug and the skull to be bleached and Euro mount. I have eaten the meat off of several bears killed in our area and they were all delicious. This one was full of corn and has been eating out of a big cornfield so I hope he is just as delicious as the others I have eaten. Sure was a lot of meat on that sucker. Beautiful coat on him as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the nice black bear.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Nice work!

I saw one that was around that size on opening day. We have a big one around here for sure, 400+ my neighbor says. I've seen a few big ones over the years, never really had the desire to shoot one. Had one about 450lbs 20yds away one year in WV...was glad I was in a stand. That thing was HUGE!

I've often wondered what the heck I'd do it I killed one. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.