Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokie Savage ML

Old 11-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like another idiot who didn't what he was doing.

Double charge or too much powder. I have had mine for 10 years. Got 4 other buddies who got them. We are all accomplished reloaders and still have all our fingers. They have even killed a few moose, bear and deer too.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 AM
Spike

Smokeless Muzzle Loaders are safe if all the information on them is adhered too Most blow ups are caused by loader error Double charge being number one I have hunted with several different smokeless Muzzle Loaders and have never had a problem
Old 12-01-2016, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ourway77
Smokeless Muzzle Loaders are safe if all the information on them is adhered too Most blow ups are caused by loader error Double charge being number one I have hunted with several different smokeless Muzzle Loaders and have never had a problem
I don't ever recall any muzzleloader that has just blown up/erupted all by itself, all alone just setting in a safe or hanging on a wall. Anyone else know of this phenomenon ever happening????

The phrase of "operator/loader error" seems to be used to justify or as an explanation way to often. Double loading happens and can happen, no matter how good or cautious the loader. It only takes one little thing, one time.

Long time muzzleloader shooters use a phrase, one that's been used since muzzleloaders first started being used and still holds true:
Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 12-01-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I don't ever recall any muzzleloader that has just blown up/erupted all by itself, all alone just setting in a safe or hanging on a wall. Anyone else know of this phenomenon ever happening????

The phrase of "operator/loader error" seems to be used to justify or as an explanation way to often. Double loading happens and can happen, no matter how good or cautious the loader. It only takes one little thing, one time.

Long time muzzleloader shooters use a phrase, one that's been used since muzzleloaders first started being used and still holds true:
Its not a matter of it, its a matter of when
I agree but witness marks on the rod can really easy keep this from happening. At the range i use the ultimate range rod and set the charge height indicator always to try and avoid any issues. I also recommend going to the range alone. To many people talking really can screw up a routine that you have in place.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I agree but witness marks on the rod can really easy keep this from happening. At the range i use the ultimate range rod and set the charge height indicator always to try and avoid any issues. I also recommend going to the range alone. To many people talking really can screw up a routine that you have in place.
Agreed. I have witness marks on all my rods. The safest I feel is always on my own range, although its only 100. I'm always very concerned when I go to the club to shoot long range. Loading a muzzleloader around others, especially after hanging targets at 300 and 400yds, gets a lot of attention and questions. I sometimes have to double and triple check. I always go during the week when most are working, just to try to be alone. Also, I just can't push out a load like most, so paying close attention is a must.