Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokie Savage ML

Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
MORONS like whoever did that, are the reason Savage quit building that awesome gun! I've been hunting with my Sav ML-2 10 for over a decade. My FIL & best bud also have years in the woods with their ML-2s & all of us still have our fingers & eyes. I'm REALLY torqued that the morons have caused Sav to stop building the guns because now these guns are bringing $1200-$1500+. I REALLY want one for my 15yr old son but I'm not spending that kind of $ on a $500 gun because of idiots like whoever blew that one.

They must've loaded it HOT to even blow the bell off the scope. To bad they survived, the genepool in much of today's society needs chlorine added to it!
I look at the Savage MLII and it looks like a outdated 15 year old design compared to the newer cleaner lines of the current Muzzleloaders on the market. It's fairly heavy at 7.5 lbs out of the box. Add more for SS and add more weight for Laminated. I think a SS Laminated Thumbhole is right at 9 lbs.

It requires several tools to take down to clean and it requires frequent replacement of the vent liner. Every 25 rounds to 100 rounds depending on load data.

Then there is the smokeless learning curve. Heat related sabot issue, cold weather impact changes with smokeless. The list goes on.

There are so many newer and more modern designs with tool less removal breech plugs for ease of cleaning and with modern propellants like BH209 I don't see why anyone would want to start out with one today. Even if they were $500 they are over priced when you can buy a TC, CVA or even a Knight for less money.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have the Facebook link. Someone is claiming there was only 40gr of powder and no projectiles or sabots in the barrel. Its also been said he lost his entire hand.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Do you have the Facebook link. Someone is claiming there was only 40gr of powder and no projectiles or sabots in the barrel. Its also been said he lost his entire hand.
There may have two instances but to answer your question:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/205248626303622/

Search down the page until you see the photo.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whoever was saying that GM was an anti that has no clue about firearms. Nothing above the powder=no pressure. You would get a little POOF. It would be just the same as pouring some powder in an ash tray and lighting it off. I'm sure you knew that and was just demonstrating both ends of the idiocy scale that are often stated on subjects such as these.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
There may have two instances but to answer your question:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/205248626303622/

Search down the page until you see the photo.
A guy posted photo of the same kaboom on MML's forum. Gun is the same. Shoes in both pics are the same.

Something is VERY fishy about this story.

Bummer, that page requires a Facebook account and i dont do Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails Smokie Savage ML-savage-5744-11-14-15.jpg  

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-28-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy posted photo of the same kaboom on MML's forum. Gun is the same. Shoes in both pics are the same.

Something is VERY fishy about this story.

Bummer, that page requires a Facebook account and i dont do Facebook.
Quotes are from Berry:

"One of the guys I shoot with is friends with the victim. He double loaded powder a two bullets." "This fellow lost one finger and was air lifted from catoosa WMA".
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you read the post in the MML smokeless section?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you read the post in the MML smokeless section?
Yes. I think its like many things, talked about before facts get totally known. All I see is that muzzleloader is destroyed and its not the only one in the last couple years from guys shooting smokeless propellant or attempting to.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

It is a shame any accident like this has to happen, smokeless or not. Its also a good reminder as to why we as muzzleloader hunters have to be even more careful and sure of our rifles. I guess we just have to be aware, these accidents happen and if you're careful, can and could be avoided.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Spike

When in doubt dismantle and remove if you think you over loaded don't pull the trigger to find out. It's things like this the gun grabber just love to hear. I have been at the range and some one started talking to me and I forgot did I load it or not? always rely on the witness mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.