Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The big change.... >

The big change....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The big change....

Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The big change....

This year's opener is going to be considerably different for me. With the VX6 sent back to Leupold, it appears I'll be using a CF for opening day (15th). It will be the first time in 40 years that I haven't hunted opening day with the muzz. Now opening day is defined as the opener of our regular firearms season, not the muzzleloader season, which actually opens the second week in December. Leupold should have my scope returned by then.
Yes, I could put a scope on the 700ml, but its almost NIB condition and its being saved for a conversion. Yes I could remove the mounts and scope off the .450 Bushmaster, but that thing is zeroed to shoot single hole 100 and 1" 300yd groups. Can't bring myself to remove that scope and mounts with groups like that.
So..... this is going to be a new/old adventure. Its going to be odd not carrying a muzz on opening day. Now to decide rather to carry out the new "Game Breaker" .450 Bushmaster or, take out the Marlin model 1881, 40-60 BPC rifle.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

OMG, that 450 Bushmaster looks awesome.
http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/hunting.asp

That Marlin is sweet, but it reminds me of my 30-30. Those type rifles I keep in the safe until day-4, when deer retreat into the heavier thickets.

There would be no hesitation with me, as to which of those two, I use for the first three days of rifle season. I most-definitely would want to be seen with that Bushmaster. Even the deer might pause and glance at it...lol
Old 11-12-2015, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
OMG, that 450 Bushmaster looks awesome.
http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/hunting.asp

That Marlin is sweet, but it reminds me of my 30-30. Those type rifles I keep in the safe until day-4, when deer retreat into the heavier thickets.

There would be no hesitation with me, as to which of those two, I use for the first three days of rifle season. I most-definitely would want to be seen with that Bushmaster. Even the deer might pause and glance at it...lol
Mine isn't on the AR platform.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would still hunt with that bolt-action beauty. Barrel and reach would be longer. Nice Leo there too.
What's that teflon Rem-Oil doing on your shelf? .... lol
All those other cans look proper....

.... and in ending, what is that brown and black-striped thing against the wall there? Bore snake/mop?

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 11-12-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I would still hunt with that bolt-action beauty. Barrel and reach would be longer. Nice Leo there too.
What's that teflon Rem-Oil doing on your shelf? .... lol
All those other cans look proper....

.... and in ending, what is that brown and black-striped thing against the wall there? Bore snake/mop?
RemOil is not used in/on the barrel, action or trigger assembly. Everything metal, the scope and including screw heads on the mounts and rings get lubricated. Its much easier to just spray the screw heads, than to just squirt oil in/on them. That's why the RemOil on the shelf. I also use it to lubricate the different rests I use.

That brown/black thing, is the tail feathers from a pheasant, taken many years ago.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Encore. Maybe they'll surprise you and it will be back soon.

Do you think that the worn out bases/rings caused the scope damage? I still don't know how you can stand to shoot that thing on a regular basis. More man than me.

Have you ever tried a lighter load just to see what it would do?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Nice Encore. Maybe they'll surprise you and it will be back soon.
Do you think that the worn out bases/rings caused the scope damage? I still don't know how you can stand to shoot that thing on a regular basis. More man than me.
Have you ever tried a lighter load just to see what it would do?
I certainly hope its back soon. I guy that works for a large sporting store told me that in most cases, Leuplold keeps their top end scopes for testing in the lab and just mails out a completely new scope. That would get one back on the rifle quicker.

Its hard to say how much the worn bases played but, I'm certain it was most likely a contributing factor. The ring would literally spin in the front mount it was so warn.
I had a math professor that helped me with break open rifle movement. Someplace around here I have his work but IIRC, a .002" movement could throw a 200yd round off 6" from POA.
Shooting the rifle isn't as bad as many expect it is. The rifle is heavy which helps a lot and the muzzle brake is there for a reason. I just use a PAST recoil pad and I can shoot it most of the day off a front rest/rear bag and never have a problem, be sore the next day or B&B mark.
I have backed down to 120gr charges, shooting both the Barnes and Parker 275gr BE's. I've yet to get my FAVORITE bullet, Barnes, to shoot to my expectation. The BE's are ok to 200, then fly all over the place. Both the Barnes and Parker bullets react the same.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Leupold has had the scope for 2 weeks, so I called today. "In the system" was the response, other than "they're returned in two to three weeks."

However, Leupold suggested sending the mounts and rings to Product Service. He said they'd replace them for free. I explained I'd send them in but, I'd already purchased the Mark4 rings and would prefer a mount for those. He suggested I provide details and they'd most likely send a different mount in return. Hope the scope gets back by the 4th, when our muzz season starts...........
Old 11-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't really sound like you wanna use one anyway. You sure got a lot of excuses not to. Leupold usually has pretty good customer service. This time of year is tough but you might get it back on time.