Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Finally! New project on the table >

Finally! New project on the table

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally! New project on the table

Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Banned

Default Finally! New project on the table

Finally after months I was able to find a 1" CVA Hawken stock for a project I bought some months back. Its a slow twist 50cal and sadly, the forearm section was cracked in an odd way like the wood was peeling off from the nose cap, on back. Not sure how someone could have done that, but I am thankful I finally found a stock for it. My normal place was completely out of them.

Should make for a fun Fall project though. Shes going to be a dark one with a nice dark chocolate brown barrel.

New unfired kit gun as well. No need to deal with someone elses rust bucket.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Lord knows I've worked on a bunch of rust buckets but then again I salvaged some fine rifles. I'm glad you found a stock. Can't wait to see the end result. I did a CVA Hawken a couple years ago that a feller gave me and it was in rough shape. I made a few parts and done a hand rubbed oil finish. I gave that rifle to one of my former Soldiers/best friend and he is as proud of it as a peacock. Hopefully I will pick up some project rifles this Friday. Gonna travel up to OH and see what I find at a couple flea markets. Good luck and I am sure she will turn out well.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jon...
Can you inject epoxy into the crack and clamp it until it hardens? Then sand it until it's no longer noticeable... I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, you've probably been there and done that.

BPS
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

im sure i could but i plan on selling it afterward and i dont want to turn that kind of stuff out.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jon...
I have a cousin who has a CVA .50 Hawken and I think he's willing to sell it at a reasonable price. I'm not interested, but if he want's to let it go at a fair price... I'll hook you up.

Another project rifle....

BPS
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Banned

let me know!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

well i got the stock in the day before yesterday and got it all stripped down. Just did some sanding in the shop and then wet it down to raise the grain, then i'll hit it again before I move on to bedding and filling screw holes. I like to fill the screw holes with an epoxy and then re-drill them so they are stronger. The nose cap screws for some reason always seem to come loose from shooting on these rifles and the reinforced epoxy screw holes hold up solid.

I'll bed the normal places in the barrel channel, tang and trigger plate. I'll have to play with the bedding when doing the trigger as its inletted to deeply and causes the hammer to not cock unless you set the trigger first. Pretty typical stuff, nothing I haven't done a dozen times before though.

Got the stain and finish on the way from TOW, so that should give me a few days of wood work time before everything arrives.

Not doing any fancy wood work, keep it simple but prep that wood and do a heck of a job on the wood stain/finish.

Lock and triggers are already polished and coated with MLP, so that will be nice not having to use oil/grease inside those areas.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

Great to hear you guys bringing these old abused smokepoles back to life!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Banned

luckily this one wasn't abused other than the stock cracking on the forearm in an add way. Kind of like laminate that starts to separate.

I got the stock all prepped, just got to do a final sanding job with 150 and make sure all looks good and start staining to the color I want. I am shooting for a nice dark color and pair it up with chocolate brown barrel and antiqued brass.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Banned

Tang and barrel channel are all bedded. Just waiting on the trigger to set up.

Fedex dropped off all the supplies, so I'll get the dovetail cut for the front sight and size the rear sight as well. I normally use an elevator sight but wanted to go with the cva mountain rifle sight instead so all you have to do is use that little adjustment screw for up and down adjustments.

Tonight I should have the trigger all finished and then I can start fine sanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.