Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First deer

Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Spike

Default First deer

Took my first shot at a deer this past Saturday and was rewarded with my first ever deer kill. I used to hunt when I was younger but we rarely saw anything as we just weren't serious about it. I picked it back up a few years ago and have been excited about putting in the time and work to have a better appreciation for what it would mean to me to harvest a deer for the first time. Each year I get out in the woods more than the last, in fact, last year I bought a bow and a muzzleloader in order to provide myself with more options with the season. I see allot more deer during bow season as there is a lot less pressure where I hunt during that time but still haven 't been able to make it happen up until this past Saturday. A good friend asked me to hunt on his land with him, said there was a special doe only weekend hunt where we could use guns, I grabbed my muzzleloader as that is all I use these days for rifle and alternative weapon. Saturday morning just 30 minutes after it got light I had a 4 pointer walk by, I just admired and laughed a little inside knowing the deer was off limits. I sat for another 3 hours then decided to get down and sit on the ground before meeting back up with my friends as it greatly improved my view. 30 minutes went by and it finally happened, a doe ran up along a ridge straight out in front of me and stopped broadside. I didn't know the distance but raised my gun, found her in the crosshairs and pulled the trigger. I honestly thought I had missed as when the smoke cleared I saw Nothing! I beat myself up a little, why wasn't I more patient etc.. I reloaded in case I needed to be ready to take another shot, sat there for a while and finally decided to walk over to where I placed the dear to see if maybe there was blood. As soon as I walked about 15 yards I saw a nice sized white object, I got excited immediately and pulled my gun up to look through the scope and sure enough, I had dropped her exactly where she was when I took the shot! My shot was about an inch or two high but at the top of the heart, the Barnes T-EZ did a job on her from what ended up being a free handed 80 yard sho from a squatting position. I was caught up for a few minutes with emotion then over joyed thinking about my journey.
Sorry for the long post, still smiling and still reflecting.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on your harvest. I'm not sure if you've ever eaten venison. But if you want delicious, non-gamy tasting meat, no matter how you prepare it, be sure to remove all the "silver skin" and trim all the fat before cooking. Do that and you will have the best tasting meal you've ever had.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations Neumonic, on both the deer and a well told story.

I assume you were using the Traditions Pursuit with the Bushnell ELITE 3200 3-9 scope and Blackhorn powder. What charge was under under that T-EZ?

And oh, we like pictures you know. Go out and buy a camera dammit!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting, i was not aware of a firearms doe only hunt on private land this weekend in Missouri. I did not know the Urban Zones portion was doe only.

Congrats.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-12-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats, as well. Several years ago, I was like you. I had hunted with my dad when young and never connected. Then when I got out on my own, I got real serious about it, and one year I got my first deer. The same year I got an elk. Then the next, it was a javelina. I think you develop a sense of where the animals will be and how to see them when they're there.
Oh, and yeah...no photos...it didn't happen!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Neumonic
.........30 minutes went by and it finally happened, a doe ran up along a ridge straight out in front of me and stopped broadside. I didn't know the distance but raised my gun, found her in the crosshairs and pulled the trigger. I honestly thought I had missed as when the smoke cleared I saw Nothing! I beat myself up a little, why wasn't I more patient etc...
.......I was caught up for a few minutes with emotion then over joyed thinking about my journey.
Sorry for the long post, still smiling and still reflecting.
Great write up on your experience. This is what it's all about. I've experienced my share of DRT kills and it's amazing how quick the animal falls, causing wonder over an otherwise, known, good shot. I simply tell myself the animal didn't run away, nor can it disappear, then get to work. Many congrats to you.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats Nice job!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! A memory that will last.........
Old 10-13-2015, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!! Nice job, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! That will be great table fare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.